Author Topic: Avast password protected itself. Can't access Settings  (Read 8358 times)

patienceking

Avast password protected itself. Can't access Settings
« on: May 01, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Avast version 6.0.1000, OS is Windows XP 64bit

I can't get to my Avast settings anymore because they are now password protected, but I didn't set the password.

The story of how it started is:

I was looking through the Avast settings one at a time. I saw that the password box was unchecked, which was as it should be, so I left it alone. I saw that the sound checkboxes were all enabled, which I thought odd, because my Avast never made any sounds when updating or anything, because I had disabled all sounds when I first installed it.

I saw that the notification popups were all set to remain up for 20 seconds. I decided to change the virus definition popup time to 2 seconds, so I deleted 20 and put 2 in the text field, and reflexively tapped Enter on the keypad.
Avast sort of flickered, like it was rapidly shuffling through screens, and settings closed. Now hitting the settings button in the upper right just darkens the screen and shows a password prompt with a countdown. Also, now the annoying voice announces virus definition updates 3 times a day, which I obviously can't turn off.

The password is not "password" or "Avast" and it's not blank...  Anyone got any ideas what I could do?

Hermite15

Re: Avast password protected itself. Can't access Settings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
password issues have been reported a few times, and they've remained a mystery so far ??? ... sorry, no idea... you may get more luck with others though ;)

ps: in the meantime, because the wait might be long, I'd suggest you uninstall/reinstall Avast.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »

ps: in the meantime, because the wait might be long, I'd suggest you uninstall/reinstall Avast.

I'm afraid that will be the only solution.  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

patienceking

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »
Which isn't too bad a thing as you can install the latest program version 6.0.1091.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
Not many people are using Windows XP 64bit.

It would be best to install avast! V6.0.1091

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
Not many people are using Windows XP 64bit.

It would be best to install avast! V6.0.1091

probably related, and I guess you can prove your point...

pcclean3453

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »

I can't get to my Avast settings anymore because they are now password protected, but I didn't set the password.
My tip is if you don't need to change avast!'s settings, leave them alone. Otherwise, i recommend a fresh install.

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:21 PM »

My tip is if you don't need to change avast!'s settings, leave them alone. Otherwise, i recommend a fresh install.

good tip ::)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »

;D  LOL
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »

You can not uninstall if the setting is password protected... I have tried but no success... So I don't think he can do clean install.. but can over previous version

Regards
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »
You can not uninstall if the setting is password protected... I have tried but no success... So I don't think he can do clean install.. but can over previous version
The only way to get rid of a password protect is to do an uninstall and clean install using Avast's Uninstaller Tool.  You cannot upgrade to the newer version if you are password protected and forgot the password or is mysteriously password protected itself.  The only solution for this OP is to uninstall and do a clean install, which is what we have all been saying.  But this is a good opportunity for the OP to install the newest version of Avast instead of the outdated version he/she has been using.  ;)

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
You can not uninstall if the setting is password protected... I have tried but no success...

you can in safe mode, password or not ;)