Author Topic: SAS or MBAM?  (Read 14506 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: SAS or MBAM?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
I have a lifetime license for SAS pro - so I thought I would download the latest and give it a whirl..  Haven't had it on my system since my XP days.  I will find out if it works OK with Avast and Windows 7 

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
What is the difference between ClearCloud and OpenDNS?
 ClearCloud is not intended to be content filtering, which is what OpenDNS provides. Its intent is to be a security device to keep your computer safe from malicious sites.

I set up a OpenDNS account and now I have to set it up on my PC. I mean adding DNS server address, but I'm currently having ClearCloudDNS server address specified there.

What should I do now exactly?

Cheers...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »
MBAM Website Blocking with MBAM Pro is awesome.
Its on par with Web Shield.

On a par with the web shield you can't be serious, sorry yes you probably are.

The MBAM website blocking will do nothing to protect against hacked sites, very common if you hadn't noticed. For that it can't hold a candle too the Web Shield.
I would believe you if you could spell!

You mean to not too!

Ha Ha Ha, here goes Kenny diving of at another tangent having had his ass handed 'too' (sic) him once again.

I rather doubt that anyone comes to the forums is overly concerned with typos/spelling mistakes, etc. etc. so long as they get and understand the information.

The typo/spelling doesn't change the facts :P
Kenny does...... and don`t you forget to add that signature guy`s.....  ;D

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 11:59:10 PM »
What is OpenDNS?
OpenDNS is a high-tech company based in San Francisco that provides easy-to-implement Internet navigation and Web security solutions for families, schools, governmental organizations and businesses of all sizes. The services provided by OpenDNS increase the speed of navigating websites and prevent unintended access to phishing and malware sites as well as to any Web content that you configure to be restricted.

What is ClearCloud?
ClearCloud is a service that provides safe and reliable web browsing by preventing you from going to websites that are known to perform malicious activity. It's like having a GPS in your car that won't let you turn down a street with known criminal activity.

Both use for preventing from malicious sites & activities. isn't it?

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 12:04:04 AM »
ClearCloud is not intended to be content filtering, which is what OpenDNS provides. Its intent is to be a security device to keep your computer safe from malicious sites.

As such, we do a lot more research on sites that try to steal information from you, download malicious files onto your machine, trick you into buying useless programs, and other similar functions. We block a lot more sites that are malicious because that's what we concentrate on. We process up to a million potential threats a day, and capture any URLs that real threats "phone home" to. We also actively search out malicious sites and have other systems in place to identify who the bad guys are.

You'll be safer with ClearCloud. If you're trying to gamble on-line or download movies or engage in social networking, you can surf to your heart's content, because ClearCloud is guarding the gate and preventing you from going to a malicious site.

This does make sense for my question, but content filtering isn't risky than preventing?

Cheers...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 12:14:11 AM »

I set up a OpenDNS account and now I have to set it up on my PC. I mean adding DNS server address, but I'm currently having ClearCloudDNS server address specified there.

What should I do now exactly?

Cheers...

You have to specify the OpenDNS primary and secondary IP addresses. Then you need to setup the dashboard account so you can apply the filtering.

Whilst ClearcloudDNS doesn't have the same content filtering as OpenDNS, I think they are blowing their trumpet a bit as OpenDNS does have phishing and malicious site blocking by default without the dashboard feature which you can further define what to filter out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 12:18:44 AM »
and if you sett up your router with OpenDNS, then every computer connected will be protected...

craigb tested ClearCloud  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75118.msg631871#msg631871
I thought i would test this clearcloud out that he ( DM ) has been bashing everyone with and telling them that it's better than MBAM Pro, iv gone to so many nasty links and sites in the last week and not one peep out of clearcloud, it's been avast or MBAM that have popped up and warned or blocked everything everytime.
Put to the test and this suggestion of his is bogus info that he is advising to everyone 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:24:29 AM by Pondus »

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:09 AM »
Whilst ClearcloudDNS doesn't have the same content filtering as OpenDNS, I think they are blowing their trumpet a bit as OpenDNS does have phishing and malicious site blocking by default without the dashboard feature which you can further define what to filter out.

ClearCloud may doesn't have anti-phishing and I mostly not consider content filtering as the categories OpenDNS offer. But OpenDNS offer more protection and security than ClearCloud. So I better move to OpenDNS.

Thnx for your feedbacks David.

Cheers...

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:55 AM »
and if you sett up your router with OpenDNS, then every computer connected will be protected...

craigb tested ClearCloud  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75118.msg631871#msg631871
I thought i would test this clearcloud out that he ( DM ) has been bashing everyone with and telling them that it's better than MBAM Pro, iv gone to so many nasty links and sites in the last week and not one peep out of clearcloud, it's been avast or MBAM that have popped up and warned or blocked everything everytime.
Put to the test and this suggestion of his is bogus info that he is advising to everyone 

:) Thnx for your tips mate... worths alot.

Cheers...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 12:45:44 AM »
Thank you:) I brought out P-O-R-N site blocking coz MBAM not dealing with malicious sites exactly as per their malicious activity.
opendns definitely work on this, i have sett up my sisters router with this bc of the kids, and i am not able to access any nudity sites

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »
Thank you:) I brought out P-O-R-N site blocking coz MBAM not dealing with malicious sites exactly as per their malicious activity.
opendns definitely work on this, i have sett up my sisters router with this bc of the kids, and i am not able to access any nudity sites

I set it up on my router, but OpenDNS says I'm not using OpenDNS even though I restarted PC and reboot router. Then I configured TCP/IP on my OS. So now it works and no worries.

Thnx guys...

Cheers...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:27 AM »
<snip>
ClearCloud may doesn't have anti-phishing and I mostly not consider content filtering as the categories OpenDNS offer. But OpenDNS offer more protection and security than ClearCloud. So I better move to OpenDNS.

Thnx for your feedbacks David.

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security