Author Topic: whats the best firewall ?  (Read 9357 times)

g0dsends

whats the best firewall ?
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »
just wondering if theres anything better than comodo pro firewall out there ?

pcclean3453

Re: whats the best firewall ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
Definitely! You could use a bunch of firewalls like Windows firewall or avast!'s internet security's firewall. There are a bunch of good firewalls out there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:48:38 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
You also have privatefirewall which is extreemly lite to run and get's great reviews on the wilders security forums.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
Well best is such a subjective word and what is best for someone may not be best you you.

You have to look at the feature set, intrusiveness (or lack of it), resource use, e.g. how it impacts on your system. So whatever you choose has to meet your requirements and essentially you have to try them out for a period of time to see how they meet your needs.

I fount Agnitum's Outpost Firewall (and then Outpost Firewall Pro) more years ago than I can remember (well over seven) and have been using it ever since and it has never let me down, it is relatively light on resources and configurable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pcclean3453

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »
For my personal opinion, I think the OS matters. For a old system, you should use a light running firewall, and for a fast running system, you could use a heavier running firewall, but I still like to use Win built in firewall.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
The best free firewall is ZoneAlarm Free.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

The best paid firewall is ZoneAlarm Pro.  http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pro-firewall-anti-spyware.htm

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:19:35 AM »
In your opinion, don't forget that bit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 01:10:10 AM »
In my opinion Comodo is a very good freebee. Why not just stay with it :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

sded

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:43 AM »
I used Comodo for a year and thought it was a high maintenance item.  All the flexibility often led to being told "you were in the wrong mode" when things happened.  And strange things did happen, along with sporadic logging that made some things unexplainable as well as unpredictable.  It is what motivated me to learn WireShark. ;)   I never put it on my other computers because of that, but as a beta tester and moderator tried to keep up with the problems.  When Comodo decided to become a suite, the evolution of the Firewall and HIPS were second priority, and even the Bugzilla maintenance attempts were abandoned.  But tests show it works very well if you are willing to have faith.  ;)
I have been using OA for 2+ years and find it at least as effective with less mystery.  But maybe Comodo softened me up-although actually I was using Kerio 2.1.5 before that.
I am trying out Private Firewall on one Vista computer, and think it looks very effective and promising.  I just wish they had a forum.
Haven't tried the latest ZA but always liked it when I used it before as a Firewall for the masses.
And never used Outpost, but a lot of the people here like it.  It has just never bubbled to the top for me.
So my current choices on the machines I actually own are OA on 3 machines (W7, Vista, XP) , Windows 7 firewall on 1 (so my wife never sees popups but is still pretty well protected), and Private firewall on a Vista backup machine just to try it out.  And of course they all have some version of Avast! 6 besides, along with a couple with Prevx.  So I don't know how to define "better" either, but the machines are used for different things and reflect firewalls that I am comfortable with for the applications.  I have used lots (dozen+, not hundreds) of firewalls, though, and don't know your experience level and how much you want to interact.  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:45:53 AM by sded »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 02:41:10 AM »
In your opinion, don't forget that bit.

Opinions are a dime a dozen, real world experiences are worth more.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »
And everyone that has posted their opinion presumably based on their experience, which is none the less as subjective as yours. As I keep saying best is such a subjective word.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:56 AM »
g0dsends, what do you think of all about these suggestions?
The best things in life are free.

pcclean3453

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 10:03:36 PM »
The best free firewall is ZoneAlarm Free.  http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

The best paid firewall is ZoneAlarm Pro.  http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pro-firewall-anti-spyware.htm
There's no such thing as best. But I use all avast! free products.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »
There is definitely and ultimately only one best firewall:

Period. End of discussion - I win.  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear