Author Topic: A resolved re-registration problem and some concerns about iYogi  (Read 1995 times)

NoiYogifan

I had been trying to re-register my Avast Free for about a week with no success. I searched the forum last night, but couldn’t find any solution that seemed to match up with my problem. So, in desperation, I called iYogi.

She took control of my computer. I’ve been through this with my ISP and with the IT gurus where I work so I wasn’t concerned yet. She showed me a bunch of services that were stopped (all of which I had stopped myself because I didn’t need them loading at startup) and a few items in the virus chest (all of which came up clean after rescan; I think I saw something in the forum about some bad definitions causing false positives not too long ago) and proceeded to tell me that my whole computer was badly infected and that all I needed to do was to cough up $169.99 immediately so that she could fix the problem in under 15 minutes.

I refused, and she got very upset.....wanting to know why I wouldn’t pay to have the problem fixed right away and telling me how much more it would cost me to have someone local look at the problem.

I searched the forum again and read a little deeper into a few threads and found a comment that someone had posted about having an issue with a setting on his firewall stopping his re-registration. A quick check and change to my firewall and my re-registration was complete. Thanks for the fix RnfromTN!!!

Everyone can draw their own conclusions from this, but the only conclusion I come up with is that she had no concern for helping me get a problem resolved……her only concern was for the money.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A resolved re-registration problem and some concerns about iYogi
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »
Adam Riley, riley (at) avast (dot) com Avast Third-party Support Manager, has requested info about iYogi, so if you have time to recount your experience (copy and paste your post, etc.), give the link to this topic.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:15:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Adam Riley

Re: A resolved re-registration problem and some concerns about iYogi
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »
Good morning,

Apologies that I have only just seen this posting.  To assure any other followers of this post, I have contacted the OP directly, and hope to work with him to resolve any further issues.

To stress, as I have said previously, we take any such complaints very seriously and I am always available via email to handle any such incident directly.

Best regards,
Adam Riley
Third Party Support Manager