Author Topic: Virus detected, again......  (Read 53777 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Virus detected, again......
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »
Might be worth rolling back to IE8 and testing it out

AKatRT

« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:11 AM »
Just so I don't mess something up, I just tried to download IE8 but IE9 is in the way. Can I remove IE 9 without doing damage to my system / data? So that subsequently I can download IE8. Thanks.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
Just so I don't mess something up, I just tried to download IE8 but IE9 is in the way. Can I remove IE 9 without doing damage to my system / data? So that subsequently I can download IE8. Thanks.

Removing IE9 will just revert back to the previously installed browser version, or at worst, give you the default browser back (IE7 for your case I think).

No problems with removing the latest version, it won't harm your files/system.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

AKatRT

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
Thank you!

AKatRT

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »
Excuse the paranoia, but so what I do is go to program files (I can't find IE in programs under Control Panel), and click on internet explorer and then right click delete or cut.......or not. Or do I then kill the entire IE program and not just the latest IE 9 version? I am unsure. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
In the add/remove section of control panel there should be an option to show installed updates, this is where IE9 will be.  I am not on my XP system at the moment to give you a step by step instruction - but if you cannot find it I will flash it up 

AKatRT

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
We did it (remove IE9). I will test for a bit now. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
Be interesting to see if that resolves it

AKatRT

« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »
Will keep you posted. And thank you.

AKatRT

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »
Ok, that fixed the problem, reverting to IE 8. Unbelievable. I don't have the fastest machine now but we're ok. May I still ask you two questions please:

1. When working in hotmail I continue to have that 'banner' problem where .jpg items get attached for some reason - we worked this earlier. My question is when it creates these attachment it numbers them 1 through infinite. Do these things create files somewhere, temp or otherwise, and if so how best to get rid of them?

2. Any 'regular maintenance' you can suggest to ensure my computer does not lose too much speed?

Thanks!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
Could you update to windows live mail http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other

That should fix it

Regular maintenance would include emptying the temporary files regularly using either CC or TFC

And not allowing any programme you install add itself to the startup list

AKatRT

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
That Life Mail looks more like Outlook to me, but I understand what you say and although I'll miss my ole hotmail, i will have to do it. MSN no longer 'maintains' hotmail then I assume?

I will do what you say with the temp files.

Other than that looks like I'm off and running again. So thanks (!) and till the next time (hah!).

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2011, 04:53:50 PM »
Nope it is now all windows live stuff

Keep safe  ;D

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »
That Life Mail looks more like Outlook to me, but I understand what you say and although I'll miss my ole hotmail, i will have to do it. MSN no longer 'maintains' hotmail then I assume?

I will do what you say with the temp files.

Other than that looks like I'm off and running again. So thanks (!) and till the next time (hah!).

Nope it is now all windows live stuff

Keep safe  ;D

Well, they still do have "hotmail".  You're thinking of the client software though I think.

Outlook Express was built-in to Windows XP and with Windows Vista and 7, it was replaced by Windows Live Mail.  Same software, just updated a bit.  You probably have guessed by now, that each time they update their Office software, the built-in "dumbed-down" version of mail client that is installed by default in the Operating System corresponds to whatever version of Office that is available at the time.

XP has Outlook express, which sort of corresponds to Outlook 2003.  Windows Vista/7 have Windows LIve Mail, which more or less looks like Office Outlook 2007/2010.

The services are still there, it's just the software that changes.  Hotmail.com is still available and working, it's just the new addition of @live.com addresses that are new (which I have).  Now, reading my @live.com emails, I still use hotmail.com to access them.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

AKatRT

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
Thank you for elaborating, appreciate.