Author Topic: Virus detected, again......  (Read 53760 times)

AKatRT

Re: Virus detected, again......
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
Thanks. Computer a bit better but still appears to 'hesitate', getting 'hung up', and continues to have an unstable screen. I did disc check - not FULL disc check. Will I get zapped for that? Should I immediately do the FULL Disc Check and hope my computer does not get obliterated by dragons? Thanks.

AKatRT

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »
Just noticed, also have that problem still about no sleep mode kicking in. Thanks. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Yes the full disc check actually utilises the MS programme so it is safe and effective

I will have a little scout around about the sleep problem - Actually big thought do you have the system set to wake up on modem or something.  I think that is the problem now I just need to find the real technical term for it  ;D

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
Yes the full disc check actually utilises the MS programme so it is safe and effective

I will have a little scout around about the sleep problem - Actually big thought do you have the system set to wake up on modem or something.  I think that is the problem now I just need to find the real technical term for it  ;D

You mean WOL (Wake on LAN)?  Lots of programs cause a computer to not standby or go to sleep though, could be something like webshots, weatherbug, or a host of other annoying programs that cause it.

For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

AKatRT

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks. I will do the full disc thing. No wake up set up - you're dealing with a baby in computereze......would have no clue to even set something like that up. Doesn't do it always either (the not going into sleep mode), does it sometimes.
One more thing please, for some time now a notification box shows up with the text "host process for windows services stopped working and was closed". I click it away and nothing seems to happen (as in all remains as is). But no clue as to what it is or means. Any relationship with the problem you think? Thanks again.

AKatRT

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
Not sure whether my comment before on that 'host' stuff made any sense. Have used the machine during the day. Again somewhat better, but does remain slow, e.g. as if it hesitates when you type, but mostly with email (yahoo, hotmail) Does not make any sense I suppose. But thought I'd share anyway. Thank you. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
Could you try disabling Immunet for a while and see if that makes a difference

AKatRT

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »
Thank you. Yes, I did that already a couple of days ago. But I recall that during the uninstall process it asked me whether I wanted to uninstall all or leave some stuff for when I decided to get it going again. I made the horrible mistake of electing to leave some stuff. How can I cleanse all that may have been left behind during this particular uninstall process? Can you help me with that please? Thanks. That 'host process for windows has stopped' message does not have an impact you think?

AKatRT

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
How about that, using a trick you showed last time I found remaining spyware doctor and immunet (junk)files by using Revo uninstaller. Deleted these. Hope that revo junk file identifier will have caught them all (if I need to do something additional still, plse let me know). I will test again and advise. Thanks. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »
Aye revo is quite good like that - is the host process error still occuring ?

AKatRT

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
Thanks. It did after the particular post, but not since the last post today. The syndrome of 'hesitation' in the screen display is still there but I could live with it. Can I ask you still, do you believe the problem was orginally caused by a virus - also since it appeared that Immunet identified a virus. Anything I can do still (have spyware blaster, malwarebytes, avast) to avoid the real bad stuff from happening again to me? And I also noticed that Avast throws the adobe flashplayer into the sandbox - can it (adobe flashplayer) cause the problems I had? I used it frequently in the past for streaming stuff and videos. Thanks again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »
I saw no indication of a virus - unless immunet killed it - do you know the file name ?

Yes, the flash player can be a vector for infection

AKatRT

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
Thanks. I deleted Immunet since (so no names from history) but it claimed it had wiped out a trojan virus.

Do you believe Immunet is worth having installed or does it just cause conflicts?

Is there an alternative when a certain website tells you that to view their content you have to download / install flashplayer? For example I have a favorite sports site, ESPN, a major site, that basically tells you to go down the flashplayer road - do I have an option then or am i stuck with having to install flashplayer to view content?

Thank you. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
Install flash player only from the adobe site, if a site asks you to update flashplayer then decline and again go to adobe to update
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Not sure about immunet as I have never tried it - might download it to my vm for a play

AKatRT

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Thank you.

I will do just that on the flashplayer, appreciate the advice.

OK, would be interested to hear from you how your feel about Immunet. None of the other stuff I have installed captured a virus, but on the other hand after Immunet did what it did, I still had a problem and had to bother you again. So it may have killed the virus but did not restore my computer.

Thanks. Thanks.