Author Topic: Virus detected, again......  (Read 54001 times)

AKatRT

Re: Virus detected, again......
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
We did and it is a laptop. I worry there is a conflict somewhere, between two programs / applications - you have any ideas on this perhaps? (but of course, what do I know, just guessing). Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
    We could try a clean boot - now this is a tad tedious but it should pinpoint any driver conflicts

As I say this is tedious but you may get lucky the first time around

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
2. The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options
1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
7. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows
If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

STEP 4: Troubleshoot [list=1]

• Now restart and test the issue at hand
  • If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Reboot to test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
  • If the problem does not re-occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled. Reboot to test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

AKatRT

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2011, 10:16:05 PM »
Wow, I'll have to build up strength, take vitamins, and probably more potent stuff to bulk up in order to take this on. But I will and let you know. Thanks. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
It is tedious - I had to do it once on a system - I did not strike lucky and it was the last driver I disabled that was the culprit

AKatRT

« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »
Understand. Funny thing is that this high fan speed has come back also - the thing is racing all the time even though I have it set at power saver. Weird stuff. Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
Funny thing is that this high fan speed has come back also <snip>
Does the fan need a dusting?  Is your machine overheating when you use it; do you need a laptop cooler?  I understand it happens when the CPU is high, but sometimes "housekeeping" can help.

I think you may be ready for the pub after Essexboy's instructions.  :P

AKatRT

« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
You're right about the 'weight' of EB's instructions - I'm in training camp now, preparing.

That fan speed goes up at unpredictable (for me at least) times, but it seems (and only that) it coincides with the freezing up / garbled screen issue. I have to then put this baby to sleep to calm it down. But now have not had freezing up or garbled screen problems for half a day. But since the pain regime that EB has suggested, I have been on my knees a lot....   Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
That does sound like you may be getting a bit of a heating problem

Any dust bunnies on your computer  ;D

AKatRT

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
No rabbits that I can see. I will do that exercise you suggested first and worry about rodents later. Thanks.

AKatRT

« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
An update. I did the clean boot. I did not see much of a change. Then I tried something else - not sure whether at all relevant but would like your views please. I used to have multiple views open of Yahoo. I have several accounts with them (personal + business). Yahoo tries to frustrate you having open more than one account at a time. Sometimes you can work around that, sometimes not. But I would have at least two views open at any given time. I killed that and limit to one open view, one open account. That combined with having switched back to IE 8 has given me peace and quiet for a week or so. I did get a message recently, when the screen went funny: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". It happened when I woke my little baby up from sleep mode - and I had a site open still that was (inter-)active.

But again, no major issues currently. What do you think? Thank you. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
Sounds as though Yahoo does not like multiple screens - why I have no idea

With IE8 you are opening them in seperate processes (as if you had two browsers open) so mayhap that is a way around it

AKatRT

« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »
Sorry about the delay in responding - was in remote Kazakhstan and no internet access. Well, in any event, everything is working pretty good now. So thanks again. Till the next time...... ;D