Author Topic: Can't delete folder "## aswSnx private storage"  (Read 6677 times)

MossyRock

Can't delete folder "## aswSnx private storage"
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:32:56 AM »
I've uninstalled Avast Internet Security v6.x on one machine that I have and this hidden folder became visible: "## aswSnx private storage".  I'm not going to be reinstalling Avast on this machine.

I can't get rid of this folder.  When I try deleting it under a standard user account it says that I need administrator privileges so it escalates and I enter the administrator password.  Then it says I need the standard user's permission.

Permissions show that the standard user account has full control over this directory.

When I sign on under the administrator's account, it says that I don't have permission to delete it - that I need the standard user account's permission.  The permissions also show that Administrators also have full control over this account.

O/S is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

I've also tried safe mode.

How can I get rid of this file without resorting to a file deletion utility?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:36:04 AM by MossyRock »

Tgell

Re: Can't delete folder "## aswSnx private storage"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:40:05 AM »
You noted that you did not want to use a delete utility but I would recommend that you first use Unlocker to try a delete. If you do not want to use a delete utility, try using Puppy Linux. Download the iso and burn with something like Imgburn. Boot to CD and delete.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Wouldn't the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility do the job?
The best things in life are free.

MossyRock

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
Tech,

No, at least not for me.  I used aswclear.exe in safe mode (as instructed) to uninstall Avast due to an unrelated issue.  Uninstalling via control panel leaves this folder, also.

Tgell,

Thanks. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:02:40 AM »
MossyRock, generally, after avast being removed, nothing "prevents" the deletion of that folder, neither the service nor the driver. It's really strange. Does Unlocker do the job?

MossyRock

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
I tried getting clean copies of Unlocker from CNET and from its maker, Empty Loop.

www.virustotal.com revealed that both downloaded installers had malware (spyware and a trojan in the CNET download, and spyware in the Empty Loop download) so I deleted the downloads.

I also tried ShellToys and it was unable to delete the folder upon reboot.  I tried the command prompt in the Win 7 version of the "recovery console" to no avail.

I then discovered that all of the subfolders and files had a crazy mix of permissions and the objects wouldn't inherit permissions from higher objects, so I just went through them one by one and set the correct permissions manually.  I was then able to delete the objects singularly until they were all gone.

What a mess and a P.I.T.A. just to get rid of a stinkin' folder.  I have no idea how this occurred.

Thanks for all of your help!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:29:10 AM by MossyRock »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
Unlocker has flagged the antivirus and virustotal from time to time.
Although it is perfectly clean.