Author Topic: LINKS!?!  (Read 5946 times)

Diggindude

LINKS!?!
« on: October 08, 2004, 02:32:04 AM »
Hey, I went to one of your free links,  a removal tool for norton.
It looked like symantec, but when I downloaded the tool, I got the bloodhound virus.
Thanks for nothing.
By the way, avast didnt even see it, but i finally got norton to take care of it!
So much for avast anti virus.

inthewildteam

Re:LINKS!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 02:40:11 AM »
It looked like symantec, but when I downloaded the tool, I got the bloodhound virus.
Thanks for nothing.
By the way, avast didnt even see it, but i finally got norton to take care of it!
So much for avast anti virus.

I am surprised that you found a link here that caused an infection, could you please post the link from this site and also some information about your system so we can help? Put the link in double brackets btw so it isn't a direct link to the site.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:42:45 AM by inthewildteam »

Diggindude

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »
it was a link to remove norton antivirus when it wouldnt uninstall with add remove programs.
I dont remember which one, and i dont want to open it again.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:27:34 AM »
DigginDude,

I am sorry that you had a problem, but links provided by some users here cannot be guaranteed safe.

Most of us have tested the links before posting, but others only post what they obtain elsewhere.

Do you remember the thread or exactly how you located the "link"?  Maybe the site address the link took you to?

I would like to know so the problem (link) can be taken care of.  

Thanks.

Gene Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 06:36:47 AM »
Diggindude: From time to time we get folks in here whose sole purpose seems to be to dis avast! When people refuse to help solve a problem, some of us might assume that is what is happening. We here do not want to have a link that infects anyone's computer. No one is asking you to reopen a suspect program, but the only way we can help you, or solve the problem of a bad link is with your help. Please show your sincerity by giving us what info you can remember. We feel we have a very good product in avast!,  help us to keep it and our forum safe for all users.

If you still had Norton on your machine while using Avast! that would explain avast! not catching the virus. The two are not compatible, nor is it recommended to ever have two anti-virus programs running at the same time.

Welcome to the avast! forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 11:46:07 AM »
Perhaps a little uncautious on your own site Diggindude?

I'm pretty sure that if there was such a link here, someone already had reported to a moderator and removed it.

Besides that, if you really did a search here you would have found plenty of links to RejZor's AEC and to the Symantec website with the tools.

And for Avast not recognizing bloodhound, that is BS. Alwil uses another name for it but does recognize it.
http://www.virusbtn.com/perlbin/vgrep/vgrep.cgi?terms=bloodhound&product=0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 01:50:47 PM »

From this I assume that the link wasn't to download RejZors AEC tool, because you say that it looked like Symantec. Again an assumption, it looked like Symantec's website? from there you downloaded a Norton removal tool that was infected.

Help us to help you and others, let us know which link so that this can be investigated/removed as if this did look like the Symantec site it could either be Phishing (sending people to a site designed to look like Symantec) or a compromised/hacked/infected file on the actual Symantec site.

As has been said previously, we don't need you to revisit/download it again, just tell us where you found the link and what was  the URL?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

whocares

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 02:47:01 PM »
Calm down... if he just wants to troll, so let him..  ;D ;D

when I downloaded the tool, I got the bloodhound virus.

Which doesn't say that the link pointed to malware, just that malware entered or was detected while being online:
-> could be a dozen different reasons, e.g.
- NAV-Update in the background
- Hijackers
- HOST-redirects
- unpatched windows
etc etc..
 ;)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 08:58:53 AM »
Bloodhound viruses are unknown viruses detected by NAV's heuristic algorithms so it could be a false positive (I think  ::) )
Quoted:
NOTES:

* If NAV detects a Bloodhound virus, Symantec Security Response recommends the file be submitted for further analysis. For instructions on how to do this, see the document How to submit a file to Symantec Security Response using Scan and Deliver.
    * If NAV detects Bloodhound.Unknown, see the document What is Bloodhound.Unknown?

more(corrected link: Bloodhound
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 06:36:18 PM by minacross »
MW

Staind

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »
Your link brings up a window to reply to the Avast! thread. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 04:37:22 PM »
I don't think that we should waste any further time on this until we get further information, it has been 36 hours without a reply from 'Diggindude'

Probably a drive by posting.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 05:20:39 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 04:07:42 AM »
I don't think that we should waste any further time on this until we get further information, it has been 36 hours without a reply from 'Diggindude'

Probably a drive by posting.

I agree  8)
The best things in life are free.