Author Topic: Avast - ENHANCED PROTECTION MODE  (Read 11893 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast - ENHANCED PROTECTION MODE
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
Thanks Danny. So samples are now with Avast developers and have been considered/included in the signature updates...yes?

Signatures are only a part of the battle as they will always be playing catch-up, this was a social engineering trick that caught out a lot of people.

Watch out for social engineering tricks (usually security based pop-ups), as this one for most people came in the form of a pop-up on facebook saying you needed to update flash player.

Clicking update infected the system, so ignore these type of pop-up update warnings and don't update from the pop-up (you have no idea what the remote location behind it is), only update from the source, e.g. adobe in this case.

So whilst the latest signatures should detect this particular variant, the user has to watch out for these social engineering tricks that may carry a new variant.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ethan76

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
Thank you very much again DavidR for the information. I wil pass this one including the link to friends.

gyorodika

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
I have this problem. Essexboy told, make a topik, but I don't know how. I take a malware Anti-malware, after RougeKiller. After OTS. In the computer all ok, but I can't use the Facebook. What's the next station?

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 09:04:41 AM »
I have this problem. Essexboy told, make a topik, but I don't know how.

@gyorodika,

You need to go to the section of the forum named "Viruses and Worms".

Once there, you will see in the upper part of the topic, on the right side of your screen, the "new topic" option (together with "mark read", "notify", "new topic", "post new poll").

Please don't copy what others are doing with OTS or any other advanced tool. Those solutions are for each user/system in particular.

Click at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0 to get to the  section of the forum named "Viruses and Worms", open a new topic and explain YOUR problem. You will get help for your particular problem/system.