Author Topic: can't disable avast  (Read 8669 times)

JohnnyBob

can't disable avast
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »
It is apparently impossible to disable free avast completely. Some processes are still running even if all the shields are disabled. The only way seems to be to uninstall it. That's what I had to do when I wanted to install some sensitive software recently where I couldn't risk any interference. Then I reinstalled free avast, this time without the Web Shield which had been giving me problems.

I suggest that a "kill" button be made available to turn off avast completely, including all shields and all running processes.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: can't disable avast
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
1. That's what I had to do when I wanted to install some sensitive software recently where I couldn't risk any interference.

2. I suggest that a "kill" button be made available to turn off avast completely, including all shields and all running processes.

1. You don't need to deactivate or uninstall avast to install new software..!
2. Bad idea, imo.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JohnnyBob

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
Well, it's my opinion that counts when it comes to my computer.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »
Well, it's my opinion that counts when it comes to my computer.

No problem with your opinion. ;)
Still, it's very unlikely that your wish will be fulfilled.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JohnnyBob

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
My recommendation stands. :P It would be more user friendly to have a "kill" button. 8) I can uninstall/reinstall avast whenever I think necessary, such as when flashing firmware or installing sensitive low level software like a firewall, but it's significantly more time & trouble. >:(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
See Reply #1 (Point 1.) ;)

JohnnyBob

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
I already did, but don't agree. There are certain special situations when I want the minimum number of running processes, giving the least risk of interference with an installation. The risk is possible damage to firmware or the op system, and I want that as near to 0% (zero) as possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
Have you actually tried to install the software with avast disabled as the scanners won't be scanning anything (you have them disabled), so they shouldn't get in the way. The avastSvc.exe is what controls all the shields so its process is needed to enable you to restart the avast shields without having to reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JohnnyBob

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
No. It would be too dangerous. I've crashed my op system in the past when trying to install/uninstall Zone Alarm (for example) and need all the edge I can get. As a matter of principle I want all unnecessary processes turned off, no exceptions. The same when I'm flashing firmware where any system slowdown or interruption could kill the device permanently. Before doing so I kill all unnecessary processes with task manager, disable them in services manager, remove them from msconfig so they won't restart when I reboot, remove them from various startup folders and registry run starts, etc. I can usually get it down to 10-15 running processes, just the barebones that windows needs to keep going. It irks me that the avast processes can't be killed, that I must uninstall it completely.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
I honestly can't see this danger that you talk of, I have never disabled avast to install a program or for windows updates and I have not experienced a problem. And I would say that there is even less risk with the shields disabled if I chose to go down that route.

As you say it is your system and your choice, but I rather doubt that avast will go down a single click option to unload everything.

So you would have to disable the self-defence module before being able to stop the task manager process and even then avast still has services/low level drivers loaded. This is the whole point of resident protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JohnnyBob

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
Then I'll either have to continue uninstalling/reinstalling avast, or switch to a different free antivirus software. I haven't tried AVG in a long time and don't know how it's doing these days. Maybe that's my next try.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
I wish the programmers never listen the users when they ask bad things...
Please, no "kill" button.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 02:19:27 PM »
Then I'll either have to continue uninstalling/reinstalling avast, or switch to a different free antivirus software. I haven't tried AVG in a long time and don't know how it's doing these days. Maybe that's my next try.

Again that's your choice.

You could always boot into safe mode and install your program as avast doesn't start in safe mode (the point of safe mode, minimal running apps)

JohnnyBob

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
Not good enough. Everything must be killed so it doesn't start automatically when windows is rebooted.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
The same when I'm flashing firmware where any system slowdown or interruption could kill the device permanently. Before doing so I kill all unnecessary processes with task manager, disable them in services manager, remove them from msconfig so they won't restart when I reboot, remove them from various startup folders and registry run starts, etc. I can usually get it down to 10-15 running processes, just the barebones that windows needs to keep going. It irks me that the avast processes can't be killed, that I must uninstall it completely.

First of all - if you disable avast! self-defense, you can kill the processes just fine.
Second, however - I'd say by doing those funny things you you describe, you actually increase the risk of something going wrong, not reduce. The thing is that low-level application, such as an antivirus or firewall, have their drivers loaded/installed in the system, no matter if you kill/disable their user mode processes or not - and by doing what you do, you bring the system to a unusual state, i.e. you make it more likely that the driver will cause a crash (bluescreen) because its controlling application is suddenly missing.