Author Topic: Apply button inpoerative after a scan  (Read 7291 times)

dougsimmons

Apply button inpoerative after a scan
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:42:46 AM »
After a scheduled scan, the APPLY button doesn't work in any mode - Do Nothing; Delete; Move to Chest; Repair; whatever...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Apply button inpoerative after a scan
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:37 AM »
Strange, never heard before.
Hope the programmers take a look on it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:10:18 AM »
After a scheduled scan, the APPLY button doesn't work in any mode - Do Nothing; Delete; Move to Chest; Repair; whatever...

That would rather depend on what was found on the scan ?
Only malware detected in files will have any action allowable, otherwise the Allow button will be greyed out as there is no appropriate action. e.g. files that can't be scanned, detections in memory aren't physical files so can't be moved to the chest, etc.

So we are going to need some examples of those listed in the scan report ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:28 AM »
Very good shot David.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:46:53 PM »
Hey Tech,
   deacon37 IS A USER and he has a problem and we must solve it. That is what avast is famous about. There is nothing about giving shot to anyone I think.
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 02:57:09 PM »
Hey Tech,
   deacon37 IS A USER and he has a problem and we must solve it. That is what avast is famous about. There is nothing about giving shot to anyone I think.
Sorry my English. With "to give a shot" I mean, "yes, David, your guess is very good, hope it can be useful to solve the problem". Shot = guess.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
Hey Tech,
Sorry my English. With "to give a shot" I mean, "yes, David, your guess is very good, hope it can be useful to solve the problem". Shot = guess.
I got it the first time!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

BLTWMS

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »
I'm totally new to forums and not sure of proper procedure.
Yet I have this same problem.  After a scan and infected files are detected it will only say move to chest and my apply button is gray and when I highlight the files and try to
send them to delete the apply button will not respond.  This happened today and I can't
even highlight these files to copy and send them to you.  Have any suggestions or solutions? bltwms

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »
I get this all the time when SAS or some other anti-Malware program is doing a scan and Avast finds some of their virus signatures in memory.

I don't believe that the OP stated what the bad stuff is and where Avast is locating it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
I'm totally new to forums and not sure of proper procedure.
Yet I have this same problem.  After a scan and infected files are detected it will only say move to chest and my apply button is gray and when I highlight the files and try to
send them to delete the apply button will not respond.  This happened today and I can't
even highlight these files to copy and send them to you.  Have any suggestions or solutions? bltwms

The apply button will legitimately be inactive/greyed out for files tat a) aren't infected, just can't be scanned, b) detections in memory, which aren't physical files and c) if you have closed the initial scan, if you subsequently open the log, it is historic data and action can't be taken. Read my Reply #2 above.

So we need more information:
File name, location, malware name, Action, Result and any other data in the report ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BLTWMS

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
Thanks David
 Here's what I've got 17 threats
all stsrt with this File name:Process 1836(msmpeng.exe)r High
Threat: HTML: Script-inf
Threat: Win32: FraudLoad-P(Trj)
Threat: Win32: Agent-SG(Trj)
Threat: Win32: PcClient-OD(Trj)

It continues like that with at least 8 being Win32  problems
Avast moved them all to chest.  I wanted to delete but couldn't get apply button to do so. Another Quick Scan followed my scheduled scan and no virus found was the result.
But this happens often by that I mean since 5/1/2011 I have had four days of virus
found results always on scheduled scans followed by full system scans or quick scans
with no virus found.

My Program version is  6.0.1091
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
bltwms

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
They are as I thought, detections in memory, from Windows Defender.

e.g. - Detections in Memory - As per my guess that you are doing a Custom scan in which you have elected to scan Memory and that all these detections are in memory. Since they aren't physical files they can't be moved to the chest, deleted, etc. so there is no action that can be taken, hence the Apply button being greyed out.

The detections in memory are frequently other security applications loading unencrypted virus signatures into memory, in this case windows defender. Having set off a scan of memory by an antivirus application looking for virus signatures, don't be too surprised if it finds some in memory.

So avast actually didn't move these to the chest, what you are seeing is the default action, so there should be no entry in the Result column.

BLTWMS

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
Great news!  So if I go back to custom my scan how would I correct the scan detecting
memory?  What would be the proper way to set up my scans to perform accurately?
bltwms

Under Scan Parameters do I just delete memory from areas to be scanned? 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:42:17 PM by BLTWMS »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »

Yes.
 ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 07:58:28 PM »
Great news!  So if I go back to custom my scan how would I correct the scan detecting
memory?  What would be the proper way to set up my scans to perform accurately?
bltwms

Either don't scan memory, or choose one with a lower sensitivity/thoroughness. From the Memory section of the Scan areas, select one of the other two options.

Personally I can't see why you bother with a custom scan, the pre-defined Quick and Full Systems scans should be fine.

I schedule a weekly Quick scan, for me that is enough as on-demand scans are for the most part going to be scanning dormant or inert files, any active files are going to be scanned by the file system shield. This depreciates the need for on-demand scans.