Author Topic: Avast crash  (Read 3967 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Avast crash
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Ok this morning i turn on my laptop and the Avast icon in system tray has a big red cross over it. Oh no i have seen this before i think.... Open Avast click on 'fix now' and i just get repeated UAC messages asking if i wish to allow avast to make changes to the harddrive etc etc but nothing happens. The only fix was in uninstall and reinstall.

Any ideas on why this happened??
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:35:49 PM by justinlee »
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Re: Avast crash
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
Any ideas on this?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:25 PM »
Any ideas on this?

Do you have admin rights..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
yes

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
yes

Good. :)
Install this: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1119/setup_ais.exe
And next time investigate further, why you get a red cross. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:01:56 AM »
In addition to the above post, do you have Avast and MBAM Pro as trusted exclusions since both are resident?  This may help. 

Are you getting Avast updates normally?  Is Avast working properly?  Have you done a recent scan and are you clean?  Is your machine acting normally?  All this information would have been helpful in your first post, but we will help you resolve your problem.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
In addition to the above post, do you have Avast and MBAM Pro as trusted exclusions since both are resident?  This may help.  

Are you getting Avast updates normally?  Is Avast working properly?  Have you done a recent scan and are you clean?  Is your machine acting normally?  All this information would have been helpful in your first post, but we will help you resolve your problem.

I have set Avast and MBAM Pro as trusted exclusions and am getting updates from both programs normally. Avast appears to be working just fine. I recently performed a boot time scan/full scan with Avast and a full scan with MBAM and both show nothing. My machine is also acting normally. I recently had to re-install Windows 7 as this problem was getting so bad. Last week i had to restore from backup as it happened again. It is not a hardware nor a memory problem as i have checked both of these. The only thing i have noticed is that it tends to happen in the following scenario...

I turn laptop on and wait until it gets to the log in screen. Instead of logging in i leave it for maybe 2-3 hours as i have gone to do something else. Come back and the laptop has obviously gone into sleep/standby mode. When i pressed space to wake my machine up it didn't come on it was stuck on sleep. After getting fed up of waiting i forced shut down then when i turned laptop on it comes up with option to start in safe mode safe mode etc. I chose start normally and then there the problem was where windows starts loads all startup programs then just freezes or runs extremely slow. But here is the very odd thing! My laptop can be running perfectly well at night then when i turn on in the morning problem is suddenly there out of the blue. This does not happen all the time and since reinstalling windows has only happened once, but i am really confused as to why. You should also note that i can lock my laptop after use, leave it on the log in screen for hours then it will wake up normally. This appears to only happen if i turn my laptop on and DO NOT log on but just leave it for hours.

I can only think of two reasons why this may be happening...

1. There is some problem with Windows waking up from sleep mode if user has not logged on.

2. Someone is hacking my system and doing all sorts without my knowledge so when i boot up in the morning i have problems. (I know this one sounds far fetched but it goes to show that i really am at a total loss as i have tried everything. Even posted on Microsoft engineer boards and they dont appear to know either.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:11:23 PM by justinlee »

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
Since there is a new release version (6.0.1125) of Avast that helps prevent crashes, I would upgrade via the GUI and see if this helps. 

Are you connected to the Internet via WiFi, wired, cellular?

Is your firewall (FW) settings set to public?  Do you see any evidence of intrusion?  Is your router locked with a strong password?  If you go to Network Connection (? correct wording for Win7) > scan your machine for another connection > do you see another user who is unlocked that may be accessing your machine and do you see an unknown IP address in your FW log?

May I ask why you leave your machine on while not attended to for such long periods of time?  Have you tested to see what happens with your machine if you prevent it from going to sleep and actually shut it off when you are not using it?

How many programs do you actually have starting up at boot-up?  Are they all necessary or can you "disable" some of them to speed things up at boot-up?

Since you leave your machine on all the time, do you ever clean your temporary Internet files with something like CCleaner?

Forgive all the questions, but I'm trying to look at the big picture.