Author Topic: Is there a way to run a custom scan without initiating the avastui.exe?  (Read 4933 times)

rngetter

Windows XP Pro SP3

Avast 6.0

I've created a custom scan. I'd like to be able to run that scan on my local disc, but having that be the only service/process running. Is that a possibility? Trying to go minimalist on my install here, and I already have avg acting as my resident, but I'd like to have a special day dedicated to running all of my favorite scanners, in their most in-depth form. (My custom scan is pretty much as deep as avast will allow me, haha)

Hermite15

I guess you've already disabled all avast resident shields. As to running any scan without calling AvastUI, unless you request a custom build from Avast ;D >>> otherwise, use the command line ;) (available in "pro" and "ais" only)

rngetter

thanks for the response, friend, command line sounds fine, what's up? what do ya know? i'm totally cool with using the command line

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
You can also schedule it if you want it to scan on regular basis .... ;D
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Why not run a boottime scan? Almost no process will run if you do so.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I'm totally cool with using the command line
Available only in pro and AIS versions.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
IMHO I would get rid of AVG and use avast with all shields running. You will find avast is a lot better. You will find the AVG uninstaller at http://www.themisteriosos.com/uninstall-antivirus-software-completely-antivirus-uninstaller-tool-remover-cleaner.htm
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

timcan

Is there a way to run a custom scan without initiating the avastui.exe?

That's not a bad (question) suggestion. :) I suppose Avast could do this easily.
Avira  :-[ will let you create a shortcut of any type of scan to the desktop.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
Why he is worried if while on demand scan avast only uses a slight memory...and 1% increase in processor..
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
That's not a bad (question) suggestion. :) I suppose Avast could do this easily.
They won't. The command line always belonged to the paid version.
The ashQuick.exe is not as the name suggest, the "quick" scanning, but a deeper one.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
While I don't think that avast! GUI will really add much to the resource "load", and while I am really not sure about the exact setup (whether the service is running or not) - avast! UI process shouldn't be needed for a scheduled task to run (because scheduled tasks run even if nobody is logged on).
Sure, you'll need the GUI to create/schedule the task, and you'll have to stick to the report files (without the GUI process to show the results), but the scan itself should run.