Author Topic: Additional steps needed to scan Outlook Express?  (Read 3233 times)

go2girl

Additional steps needed to scan Outlook Express?
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:22:02 AM »
 :)  I think I have this correct, but, I'm a new user and I want to be careful.  I think things have changed since the HELP file that is included with Avast Free.  I use Outlook Express to collect mail from several accounts (see attached) and it appears to me that my mail accounts have been automatically configured by Avast Mail Shield.  I made no entries.

Although the Avast Help file says
If encryption is not turned off in the Mail Client, the Mail Shield will be unable to scan the content of either incoming or outgoing mail. This means that although the connection will be secure, the mail cannot be scanned by avast! and is therefore unprotected. In this case a warning message will be displayed (by default) informing you that a message has been received via an unprotected SSL connection.

After installing Avast, I received the warning message mentioned above only the first time I used Outlook Express.  Since then, I have received NO warning messages when I collect my e-mail. I have NOT turned off any encryption in Outlook Express and my mail is being collected and sent. 

How can I confirm that my incoming and outgoing mail is being scanned?

go2girl

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Additional steps needed to scan Outlook Express?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
Check the avastUI, Real-time Shields, Mail Shield, and you should be able to see if it is actively monitored.

You can also check the email headers as that should show if it is scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

go2girl

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:22:54 AM »
David R --

Thanks for the reply.  I checked the bottom of the messages.  Those coming from earthlink show that they have been scanned, however, those coming from yahoo and hotmail(live.com) do NOT have that acknowledgement on the bottom.  As you can see by my earlier attachment, encryption for earthlink is listed as "none" or "TLS" whereas yahoo and live.com are "SSL". 

So, is there a tweak that I need to make to Outlook Express to allow the scanning for yahoo.com and live.com e-mails?  How do I "turn off" the encryption in the "mail client" as noted in the HELP file?  And -- is it safe to do so?   

:) go2girl

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »
You need to comply with that quote you made as avast can't intercept and scan encrypted email. By unchecking the SSL options in your email client avast will be a) able to scan the email and b) it will handle the secure connection side.

In OE, Tools, Accounts, select the two problem accounts (one at a time), right click on it and select Properties. From the new window, Advanced tab, and uncheck the This server requires a secure connection. In the Server tab, ensure that you also uncheck the 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication if it is enabled. Repeat for the other account.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

go2girl

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
DavidR -
Thanks for sticking with me. 

I made the changes as you explained them to my OE accounts in Hotmail and Yahoo, removing "This server requires a secure connection" for both Outgoing SMTP and Incoming POP3.  I sent some test e-mail in and out of them and everything now shows the outgoing messages and the incoming messages have been scanned by Avast.

Does this mean that none of my email is now encrypted and I have lowered my security?  I realize that in the vast sea of e-mail, mine is but a drop, nevertheless, I would like my e-mail to be as secure as possible. (A Nigerian prince may need my assistance with his millions any day.)  ;)

:)  go2girl   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
No it means that avast handles the secure connection as indicated by the avast SSL Account information image you attached.

Your email goes from OE and is redirected to the avast Mail Shield (local proxy for scanning, it is then passed on after the SSL connection is made. If it wasn't using the SSL connection then your email server would be likely to reject the connection.

go2girl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
Thank you, DavidR.

I think I'm set for now!

:)  go2girl

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »
You're welcome.