Author Topic: ** NEW AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE RELEASE CANDIDATE 6.0.1119 **  (Read 57749 times)

Hermite15

Re: ** NEW AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE RELEASE CANDIDATE 6.0.1119 **
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
1.  Avast needs to start identifying the installer file as a Beta in the file name

yes, because too many people don't read or understand Vlk's posts... although it's crystal clear ::)

2.  Avast needs to start identifying the release as Beta in the GUI.

yes, same reason as above.

3.  The forum needs to set up a Beta thread that users have to opt into in their profile in order to get to the Beta release download links.

there's already a beta thread. We're now talking about pre-release versions of Avast, not betas really.

.  Eliminate GUI updates for Betas.

why ??? as said that's needed to test updating abilities of the build, and once you're on the beta channel, you expect beta updates, nothing wrong about that. >>> people who are not on the beta channel, ie people who didn't download and install the first beta manually and purposely have nothing to gear from beta updates: as they won't happen. Having to state something so obvious for the nth time is sort of... okay ::)

5.  Put up a big disclaimer and warning right above the installer links, not a one sentence comment about the release being a Beta release.

yes okay, although Vlk again makes it clear that the build is a pre-release.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
By the way, I agree with you and Logos on 1 and 2.
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
Why should Avast! be interested in limiting usage of an open beta or RC or prerelease?  The idea is to get it out to as diverse a group of testers as possible before it is released in order to try to cut down the problems of the wider audience of 150M or so people.  And if a few people get it unintentionally and have problems that go into the fixit pile, so many problems less to deal with downstream.   ;D

EvilDust

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2011, 08:46:49 PM »
Clean install of this build in Windows 7 x64, all run well but Mozilla Firefox 6.0a1 x64 (Nightly build) no more start (error everytime). Mozilla Firefox 5.0b x86 running well, no errors, but the web app of Avast is incompatible.

:-\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2011, 08:58:17 PM »
Well, seeing the thread having gone completely off topic, i.e. rendering the beta kinda pointless... maybe we should forget about betas altogether?

warlock

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
Nice, I just changed my connection and because AIS was unable to detect the new network (bug 1) I just manually deleted all network profiles, stopped the firewall, restarted it and this time it detected the new network just fine, but immediately froze. Looking in Process Explorer, I now have two afwServ.exe processes, one at 100% CPU (bug 2).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »
Well, seeing the thread having gone completely off topic, i.e. rendering the beta kinda pointless... maybe we should forget about betas altogether?
No Igor... just the thread is bloatware by its nature... Maybe you have to open the beta forum each time and each user open a thread for his/her problem.

mattburles

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
i have determined that avast is blocking something on my internet connection because every once and awhile i get no internet connection. i know this has to do with avast because when i have avast on i receive this problem and when i turn avast off it goes away  :-\

g0dsends

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
nice beta test copy no issue other than google chrome web rep  :P

RB123

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
Just downloaded 6.0.1119 So far, everythings fine. But in the past Avast 6.0 versions, I would get a BSOD after one week. Will keep testing.

yongsua

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »
has avast ever considered adding an option into the avast settings to "update to beta/RC versions"? these pre-release versions come out and i think it would be convenient to have an option in the settings for users that like to test pre-release versions to be auto updated like regular program updates. some other AV's have this option like Emsisoft, ESET and such.

Now that is a very good suggestion imho. Might worth considering there.

To be honest making it too easy for people to use beta or pre-release builds is a bad idea. Even with beta or pre-release versions being notified in the forums there are still people that shouldn't be running beta builds of security software on their systems.

For many they don't understand the potential for problems and that it could have serious repercussions that they simply aren't experienced for. Unless you are using a test-bed system or have a robust backup and recovery strategy (disk imaging software, etc.), then you really shouldn't be running beta builds of security software and that includes avast.

But this is rather off-topic for this topic.

At least many ESET users run pre-release updates without any ill effect, including myself.

They are thoroughly tested before they are release for public consumption.(Off topic) :-[

Jack 1000

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
I am a little confused,

There is a Beta forum that says, "Discussion About The New Beta" for it's subtopic, so why not put all Beta and Release Candidate Releases in that forum?  Or would not enough people go to the Beta forum, so we should keep the Beta and RC releases in the General Forum like they are now?

Jack

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
I am a little confused,

There is a Beta forum that says, "Discussion About The New Beta" for it's subtopic, so why not put all Beta and Release Candidate Releases in that forum?  Or would not enough people go to the Beta forum, so we should keep the Beta and RC releases in the General Forum like they are now?

Jack
+1

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
I am a little confused,

Jack
+1

+2 ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Hermite15

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
may be try to correct this before releasing the next build:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=77717.0
(tested with current stable)