Author Topic: VRDB HELP ADVICE  (Read 3656 times)

deep purple

VRDB HELP ADVICE
« on: August 30, 2004, 11:41:20 AM »
Hi all,I would appreciate some help/advice being newbie to AVAST regarding the VRDB,as i read the notes on i am unsure whether the BLUE ( i ICON ) should be flashing all the time as i have the VRDB enabled as( GENERATE VRDB NOW!) ticked and  Generate VRDB when computer is Idle (TICKED),is this correct or should only one option be ticked,thanks for the help in advance.

best regards

deep purple  :)

Kerim

Re:VRDB HELP ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 12:26:51 PM »
In other words, the question is:
After clicking on 'Generate VRDB Now!' does the actual generation continue if one clicks 'Generate VRDB when computer is idle'  or 'Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running'?

I am also looking for an answer ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 12:34:15 PM »
What you enable or not is a choice you have to make.

Generate when idle means that Avast will start generating the VRDB when the system is idle. (when not activly used by the user.)

Generate now.... Ah well that speaks for itself.

So if you have both enable it is normal that the VRDB is generated and the ball is spinning. When running the VRDB creater the first time it can take a long time to finish. Don't worry this is normal.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 02:35:50 PM »
I don't know if this will help clarify things, or just make them worse -- my apologies if it's the latter.

The only choices that are "remembered" (unless and until you change them again) are the three relating to whether and when auto-generation is done -- when idle, using screensaver, or disabled.

The "Generate now" function is totally independent of those and is a one-time operation.  That's just a menu choice, not a setup tick-box option.  It works similarly to running a boot-time scan (in Home version, that is) in that you have to select it each time you want to do it.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

deep purple

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 11:32:50 PM »
Thanks to all your advice regarding the VRDB,as i found out if i had waited long enough!,after clicking on GENERATER VRDB NOW!,it does eventaully stop rotataing,and as said the idle is the function for when the pc is obviusly idle.

regards

deep purple