Author Topic: Outbound mail  (Read 20472 times)

REDACTED

Outbound mail
« on: July 26, 2003, 01:16:57 PM »
How come Avast 4.0 Home ed. doesn't insert a note into a clean outbound message? I have that function activated. I use Win XP Home and Outlook Express 6.0

sedina

Re:Outbound mail
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 12:18:15 PM »
Hi,

there is a problem with note in OE in case of special kind of email (e.g. when ICQ
signature is prefilled in new e-mail). Patch will be in next program update (this or
next week). You must set "insert note into clean message" for SMTP protocol. If
this is set correctly, can you send me an example of e-mail that is not processed
by avast! (mail to: sedina@asw.cz)? I will analyze it and give you status about it.

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 12:24:29 PM »
Thanks for your reaction and I'll wait for the patch and see again.
I would also like to know if I can't put a note in an e-mail to be sent, how I can check wether Avast scans the outbound mail. I would appreciate your help again.

I use a message Tag program, in order to see when someones has opened my mail. The program is called MSGTAG and I use the freeware version. Works really great and maybe that's the reason for not putting in the note from Avast as MSGTAG also puts in a note!!

@mir
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 12:26:52 PM by @mir »

sedina

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 12:38:05 PM »
I hope that avast! scans outbound emails despite of the fact that doesn't add a
note in e-mail ;-) But you can set "Show detailed info on performed action" (blue
icon in systray -> Internet Mail Provider -> Customize button -> Advance page) to show what avast! does when you sending e-mail...

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 01:38:08 PM »
Thanks for answering so quickly and tonite I'll see how things turn out as that's indeed the main thing for me, that Avast does scan the outgoing mail and if I can check if it does, I'll be more than happy.
Thanks again.

@mir

Kaleus

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 07:48:04 PM »
Hi,

I use MSGTAG free version too, and can't link Avast! and MSGTAG to work together, i have 2 mail addresses managed by Avast! and one more for MSGTAG.

In fact, MSGTAG listen on port 25 for outbound mail, and when Avast! start it say that port 25 is already in use.
I changed the listen port of MSGTAG (and the sending port or the corresponding mail adress in Outlook) and it's okay, I can use MSGTAG and Avast! but not at the same time (for the same mail if you prefer).

So, I can:

Outlook -> MSGTAG -> Recipient = OK
Outlook -> Avast! -> Recipient = OK
Outlook -> MSGTAG -> Avast! -> Recipient = Fail (Don't know if it's a misconfiguration, or just impossible to do)
Outlook -> Avast! -> MSGTAG -> Recipient = Fail (same as above)

Hope this can help a bit Dev team to help us :)

Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 08:13:28 PM »
Thanks for your reaction. So you have the same problem actually, but you use Outlook and that also makes a difference. I use Outlook Express. But it will probably be the same fault as described by Pavels regarding prefilled signatures. Let's hope the patch does something. I'll let you know! I'll be wondering about signaling the scan of aoutbound mail. I'll be back!

Greetings,

@mir

Kaleus

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 08:28:27 PM »
Sorry, it's Outllok Express 6, in fact :)
Excuse me for this lack of precision :)

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 08:32:54 PM »
It's allright, don't worry. Pens do slip once in a while....

;D

greetings,

@mir

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 09:55:33 PM »
I hope that avast! scans outbound emails despite of the fact that doesn't add a
note in e-mail ;-) But you can set "Show detailed info on performed action" (blue
icon in systray -> Internet Mail Provider -> Customize button -> Advance page) to show what avast! does when you sending e-mail...

Thanks!

Hello again,

Everything works fine now, it scans outbound mail and even puts in a note, both inbound and outbound mail. I also see the icon turn when sending mail, so that's the proof Avast scans it! Great. But I had to disable the program MSGTAG in order to achieve this. It's a pitty, but maybe with the patch it'll work. We'll wait and see. Thanks again and I really like the scnner so far!

gr.,

@mir
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 09:57:27 PM by @mir »

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 10:02:08 PM »
Hi,

I use MSGTAG free version too, and can't link Avast! and MSGTAG to work together, i have 2 mail addresses managed by Avast! and one more for MSGTAG.

In fact, MSGTAG listen on port 25 for outbound mail, and when Avast! start it say that port 25 is already in use.
I changed the listen port of MSGTAG (and the sending port or the corresponding mail adress in Outlook) and it's okay, I can use MSGTAG and Avast! but not at the same time (for the same mail if you prefer).

So, I can:

Outlook -> MSGTAG -> Avast! -> Recipient = Fail (Don't know if it's a misconfiguration, or just impossible to do)

Thank you.

Hello Kaleus,

Everything works fine now, but without MSGTAG and that's a shame really.
The notes are put in in- and outbound mail perfectly. I'll be experimenting with MSGTAG the next few days, perhaps there is a simple solution.
As soon MSGTAG is installed and functional, outbound scanning is disabled and the notes are not put in.
The only alternative right now is..........forget about outbound mail scanning, because the system should be clean!!!!!! Inbound is really important and it works fine, so.......why bother. But......maybe there will be a solutin soon.
Keep trying!

greetings,

@mir

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 10:16:04 PM »
Hi,

So, I can:

Thank you.

One difference here is, Msgtag listens on port 7362 for outbound mail, which is changed when installing Msgtag.
When you change that to 25, Msgtag won't work!! How do you get Msgtag to work with port 25?

gr.,

@mir

Kaleus

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 11:19:45 PM »
By default, MSGTAG listen on port 25, I changed it to 7362 (I installed MSGTAG before Avast!).
If MSGTAG is alone (and Outlook Express nicely configured) MSGTAG will absolutely work with that port, but Avast! will not like that and pop up a message as soon as it will start.
So the only way I have found is to use one or other (MSGTAG or Avast!) but not together.
Or can use together but not in the same mail adress (different account in Outlook Express).

Clearly, we must find a way to send the mail to Avast! or MSGTAG and after it process the mail, must send it to the other one, process it and send it to the recipient. :)

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 11:49:58 PM »
I don't understand your statement about port 25 being standard for Msgtag, as on my pc it changes port 25 to 7362. Therefore Avast will not scan outbound mail as it should be on port 25.
But do you get a popup message from Avast about port 7362??? Very strange indeed. Here Avast just doesn't scan the outbound mail and that's it. I just leave it this way as I stated before. Outbound mail from a clean computer should not have to be scanned!!!!
I leave Msgtag on port 7362 and it works fine and I leave Avast the way it works now, no outbound scan! But let me know about that popup message on port 7362, please.

gr.,

@mir

Kaleus

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 01:22:23 AM »
There is no popup message about port 7362 :),  my default configuration for MSGTAG was port 25 and when starting Avast! it say that 25 is already in use, so the SMTP server could not start (or something like that).
I changed manualy the port of MSGTAG to 7362 to solve the conflict and use Avast! and MSGTAG BUT on different mail adresses.

Hope I'm a bit more clear ;)