Author Topic: Outbound mail  (Read 20473 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Outbound mail
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2003, 04:10:34 AM »
I have experienced no trouble with inboud/outbound messages in Outlook Express (XP Pro). Despite of this, sometimes in HTML email the application seems to insert two lines after the message body (and not just one as expected).  ???
The best things in life are free.

Kaleus

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2003, 07:58:36 AM »
I have experienced no trouble with inboud/outbound messages in Outlook Express (XP Pro). Despite of this, sometimes in HTML email the application seems to insert two lines after the message body (and not just one as expected).  ???

Did you use MSGTAG at least ? ::)
Because we have not problem with OE and Avast! alone, but OE + MSGTAG + Avast! (all that on the same mail adress) = don't work for us...

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2003, 08:01:34 AM »
Ok, it's clear now and that's the only solution right now.......to use 2 e-mail addresses, but again......why worry about outbound scanning. When I send an e-mail, I would like to check wether it is opend by the recipient and therefore I use MSGTAG.

Good luck and thanks again for all the replies.

;)

@mir

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 04:00:02 PM »
Outlook -> MSGTAG -> Avast! -> Recipient = Fail (Don't know if it's a misconfiguration, or just impossible to do)
Outlook -> Avast! -> MSGTAG -> Recipient = Fail (same as above)
Both cases are possible, but manual configuration is needed.
e.g. the latter case:

account in mail program:
SMTP server: 127.0.0.1
SMTP port: 25

avast4.ini, section [MailScanner]:
DefaultSmtpServer=127.0.0.1:7362

mail account in MSGTAG:
SMTP server: smtp.company.com  <- replace by your SMTP server
SMTP listen port: 7362

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2003, 04:47:47 PM »
Thanks very much for the tip and I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Greetings,

@mir

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2003, 05:16:05 PM »
Outlook -> MSGTAG -> Avast! -> Recipient = Fail (Don't know if it's a misconfiguration, or just impossible to do)
e.g. the latter case:

account in mail program:

mail account in MSGTAG:

You are wonderful........it works great now and it was so simple to adjust. Just adjust the ini file and that's it! Thank you very much again and keep up the good work.

:) :) ;)

Greetings,

@mir
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 05:18:11 PM by @mir »

herpgal80

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2003, 07:25:33 PM »
Sorry to post again, but nothing is working to fill the password box to let me download new email. I just downloaded Avast4 about an hour ago, and OE asks for a password, which it has never done before, and I think it has something to do with the 127.0.1 number. I am stumped. If you can help, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, herpgal

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2003, 04:39:45 AM »
Sorry to post again, but nothing is working to fill the password box to let me download new email. I just downloaded Avast4 about an hour ago, and OE asks for a password, which it has never done before, and I think it has something to do with the 127.0.1 number. I am stumped. If you can help, I would appreciate it.
Thanks, herpgal

Troubles with Outlook Express passwords and avast! If it helps, try to use the link "Mail Protection Wizard" in the Windows Menu?
I suggest remove avast protection from the emails (2nd option), start Outlook Express (do not download emails because you´re not protected), close Outlook, use Mail Protection Wizard again choosing the 1st option (with the checkbox "Automatically protect... in the future". I use Outlook Express and MailWasher togheter, this operation works to me when "anything" happens with the password. Good luck.  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 04:45:07 AM by Technical »

dre

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2004, 09:44:27 PM »
e.g. the latter case:

account in mail program:

mail account in MSGTAG:

I've been reading this thread and wondered if you know what to do when you have more than one email provider.
I have three pop3 email addresses. I have amended the avast4.ini in accordance with your suggestion and can get one address to work. Is it possible to add the other two pop3 addresses to the ini? I also use msgtag.
Also I am currently checking inbound but not outbound messages. Any suggestions as to what I need to amend?
Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2004, 04:44:45 AM »
I've been reading this thread and wondered if you know what to do when you have more than one email provider.
I have three pop3 email addresses. I have amended the avast4.ini in accordance with your suggestion and can get one address to work. Is it possible to add the other two pop3 addresses to the ini? I also use msgtag.
Also I am currently checking inbound but not outbound messages. Any suggestions as to what I need to amend?
Thanks.

avast can scan as many email accounts as you want...
The one on the avast4.ini file is just the 'default' one, to be used when your email client (program) does not use one (as default) or to send files to Alwil, for analysis.

Just add your email accounts, close the email program and run Mail Protection Wizard  8)

dre

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply but I'm still having problems. I don't know if I've explained myself properly so will try again, sorry it's a bit long winded!!
I have email addresses with britishlibrary, onetel & btinternet.
MSGTag is showing smtp.btinternet.com on all email accounts (my dialup is currently with bt).
Outlook Express has the incoming pop3 as: 127.0.0.1 and outgoing smtp as: localhost.
avast4.ini has: [MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=pop3.britishlibrary.net
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0

At present I can send from all accounts, tagging with msgtag but not being virus scanned. I can only receive britishlibrary and they are scanned in.
When trying to receive onetel and btinternet I get a logon box showing the server as 127.0.0.1 asking for username and password. The username displayed is the correct username plus  #pop3.britishlibrary.net.
It fails each time and comes up with the following message:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Martine Onetel', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR authorization failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
Any help much appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2004, 07:53:21 PM »
Can you check two things?

Do you really want/need to use this port (7362)?
Are your email accounts well configurated for that?

At present I can send from all accounts, tagging with msgtag but not being virus scanned.

You need to use 127.0.0.1 and smtp authentication adding something like this:
user_name#smtp_server_name and your password (or let it blank)

I can only receive britishlibrary and they are scanned in.

This is because your avast4.ini file, this is the 'default' server.

When trying to receive onetel and btinternet I get a logon box showing the server as 127.0.0.1 asking for username and password. The username displayed is the correct username plus  #pop3.britishlibrary.net.

Strange, it should work for username#pop3.britishlibrary.net

I think it will be better configure all your email account for not using avast.
After that, close your email program.
Run Mail Protection Wizard and protect all your email accounts.
Open your email program again and let us know what happened...

dre

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2004, 11:25:55 PM »
Can you check two things?

Do you really want/need to use this port (7362)?
Are your email accounts well configurated for that?

I don't know (sorry) so I've changed it back to pop3.britishlibrary.net, which is how it was before I started meddling!! It now looks like this:
[MailScanner]
DefaultSmtpServer=pop3.britishlibrary.net
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0

I think it will be better configure all your email account for not using avast.
After that, close your email program.
Run Mail Protection Wizard and protect all your email accounts.
Open your email program again and let us know what happened...

I've returned MSGTag & Outlook Express to pre-Avast and then run the Mail Protection Wizard.
I was then unable to send any mail so I removed the Requires Authenitcation tick from OE and can now send from all accounts, tag the mail and scan all inbound mail. At present the only thing I can't do is scan outgoing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2004, 12:51:49 AM »
I don't know (sorry) so I've changed it back to pop3.britishlibrary.net, which is how it was before I started meddling!! It now looks like this:
[MailScanner]
DefaultSmtpServer=pop3.britishlibrary.net
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0

Sure there is an error or a typo:
wrong: DefaultSmtpServer=pop3.britishlibrary.net
right:    DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.britishlibrary.net

I removed the Requires Authentication tick from OE and can now send from all accounts, tag the mail and scan all inbound mail. At present the only thing I can't do is scan outgoing.

Without the Authentication tick into OE you won't be able to scan outgoing messages.
Depending on your ISP, the information could be:
username#smtpname
or only
#smtpname

deep purple

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2004, 11:46:05 PM »
I hope that avast! scans outbound emails despite of the fact that doesn't add a
note in e-mail ;-) But you can set "Show detailed info on performed action" (blue
icon in systray -> Internet Mail Provider -> Customize button -> Advance page) to show what avast! does when you sending e-mail...

Thanks!
i too am a bit concerned about scannong in/out outlook express,sorry for my ignorance but which blue icon in system tray are you referring too? internet mail provider you have lost me,can you explain a bit better so i can understand thanks.

deep purple