Author Topic: avast! 4 Home & Quicken 3.0  (Read 3090 times)

elguapo

avast! 4 Home & Quicken 3.0
« on: October 09, 2004, 04:29:18 PM »
I'm still running Quicken 3.0 for Windows. It was designed to run under Windows 3.0. Yes, it's a very old program, but it does what I need and I don't want to spend the money to upgrade it.

Without Avast! 4 Home (the free version), QW.EXE and the Quicken installer program (install.exe) run just fine under Windows XP SP2. As soon as Avast! is installed, neither qw.exe or install.exe will launch. I have even tried disabling avast! (but leaving it installed), and they still do not run. As soon as I uninstall avast!, they run.

This took me some time to figure out as I uninstalled various programs one by one and tested qw.exe after each one. After installing avast, it worked. Then I reinstalled all the applications one by one. qw.exe worked after each one, until I installed avast!. Then I reinstalled and uninstalled avast! 3 more times, and every time avast! was installed qw.exe would not execute and everytime it was installed, it stop working.

avast reports no viruses. This is a new install of the OS. I have a firewall and spybot running. Even running qw.exe in compatibility mode does not work when avast! is installed. But when uninstalled, qw.exe runs just fine, even without compatiblity mode.

Other programs run just fine. Other installs run just fine. So far, it appears on the quicken executable and install program are somehow blocked. No errors are reported, nothing is in the avast! log, qw.exe and quickens install program, install.exe just do not start. Any ideas?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:avast! 4 Home & Quicken 3.0
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 04:43:04 PM »
Time to upgrade Quicken ;D

You can add quicken to the ignore list in Avast. It may solve the problem.

You can also put a REM in front of device=C:\...\Avast4\aswmonds.sys in the file config.nt

This will stop Avast scanning dos(based) files but it may solve your problem.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 05:00:00 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forums.

I use Quicken 98 in compatibility mode (win98) with XP Pro SP1a and no problems with avast!

This could be something to do with the QW3 being a 16 bit program there have been a number of posts about running old programs. This could possibly be a similar problem.

A search of these forums returned some info that may help.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7651;
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=6991;start=0

Applying Vlk's reg fix in the second thread above will probably resolve it, do however read both threads to get the full background.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

elguapo

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 08:05:22 PM »
The reg file fixed mentioned in the prevous threads worked! Thanks Eddy, David, Vik (who provided the fix in the previous threads). And thank you avast for a great freeware anti-virus program!