Author Topic: Looking up smtp.gmail.com or the socket was disconnected unexpectedly  (Read 20465 times)

Esgrimidor

Re: Looking up smtp.gmail.com or the socket was disconnected unexpectedly
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »
In the tutorial I think the step is done : Please

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
When you try those different settings and they are failing, what you are getting errors are you getting ?
Give the error for each different setting (and which one they relate to) if they are different.

Presumably they are different to the telnet test that you did ?

Seen your image and you have to change the connection security set to none, that may well change the prot number I don't know, but avast should compensate for that in its SSL Account settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Esgrimidor

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:14 PM »
It seems that in some part of the problem I received help from the TB forum that don't know or consider that the antivirus take notice of the account configuration and repeat in the own.

But what I really don't undertand is why Avast! is not able to modify the account according to his purpose.

Because the values present in the SSL Avast configuration don't need in the past my participation. And now with the accounts modified because of the problem I need to modify one by one all the gmail accounts.

And perhaps the live.com accounts and so on.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
David's correct.  You're using the SSL port in your email client, which it shouldn't be.

Here's some port numbers:
POP3 - port 110
IMAP - port 143
SMTP - port 25
HTTP - port 80
Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465
Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585
IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 993
Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995

For IMAP, you should be using port 143, Avast will use the secure port of 993 when connecting to GMAIL, then hand it off to your email client with standard port of 143.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
It seems that in some part of the problem I received help from the TB forum that don't know or consider that the antivirus take notice of the account configuration and repeat in the own.

But what I really don't undertand is why Avast! is not able to modify the account according to his purpose.

Because the values present in the SSL Avast configuration don't need in the past my participation. And now with the accounts modified because of the problem I need to modify one by one all the gmail accounts.

NOW I get what you're saying.  You'd rather not have to change the connection settings on each account.  Makes sense. Wonder if there is a script that can make the changes for you.

All I know is that if your email client connects securely to gmail, then avast won't be able to scan the mail.  Avast has to be the middle man and secure the connection itself, then pass the messages onto the client after scanning them.

I don't know what changed in the latest version or how you were able to scan secure connections with the older version of Avast, since I don't think the older versions worked with SSL connections for email either.

I suppose if you really wanted to (and I don't suggest this), you could install avast without the email scanner.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Esgrimidor

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
Ufff. Is not so easy for me.

Is it not more fast uninstall Avast and install again ?

Perhaps in that case Avast Reconfigures all accounts according to his needs.

Why Avast don't recognize my 48 accounts without reconfiguration ?

Why if need to take control of security don't establish a conversation with Thunderbird (TB) and no need for manual and tedious configurations ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

Avast won't modify 'your' email account settings, some people would get very annoyed if avast were to presume to change 'your' email accounts.

That is why when you still have SSl/TLS enabled in your email client avast does tell you in the error and that is why I have been asking fore the error text.

Uninstalling avast won't resolve your problem as it is in your email settings that 'you' have to change as we said, avast when reinstalled would just create what it already has done and your emai would fail as you still have it on SSL/TLS.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:55:30 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Esgrimidor

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
"Wonder if there is a script that can make the changes for you."

Nice idea. i can try in the TB forum. But consider that an antivirus with this complexity is not contempled in the TB forum. They don't tell me about the pecularities of Avast or presume this as a need.

Perhaps they don't know about avast configuration. It's dangerous for a simple user make modifies over ini files, or advanced configurations.

I would ask for next version of Avast to be simplified all these problems.

Now I am ready to try and comment to have the email shield operating again after a good conversion.

In the gmail account configuration helps there is no indication about this peculiarity in the anvivirus. It's a fault.

Esgrimidor

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »

Avast won't modify 'your' email account settings, some people would get very annoyed if avast were to presume to change 'your' email accounts.

That is why when you still have SSl/TLS enabled in your email client avast does tell you in the error and that is why I have been asking fore the error text.

Uninstalling avast won't resolve your problem as it is in your email settings that 'you' have to change as we said, avast when reinstalled would just create what it already has done and your emai would fail as you still have it on SSL/TLS.

Okis DavidR. I'll try my best modifying the accounts. And please be in contact with gmail tutorials about account configuration.

the message looking for smtp.gmail.com or similar are not referenced well in the web.
So Avast don't document this problem well. Gmail ignore the problem. TB ignore the problem too. Nobody knows nothing about this problem until now.

Esgrimidor

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »
I'll try to resume all above.

Special accounts configuration under antivirus Avast! v.6 :

1) If the number of account in the email client is numerous (about 50) edit the emailshield.ini
and modify the line
[MailScanner]
MaxConnections=0
to the value zero.

2) Avast need to control security.

In the normal account gmail IMAP configuration in Server Settings ---> Connection security must be set to "none"

P.D. In order to make a clear idea about the steps I would to know about the default port 993 when you indicate the port 143.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
I don't use gmail, but I though that it used IMAP and not SMTP ?

It uses either, you just have to enable them in the settings page.

I use either. Imap accounts and pop accounts. All accounts need an smtp server for outgoing messages.

Correct.  GMail supports POP3, IMAP, and SMTP.  SMTP is required for outgoing messages regardless of whether the email client user is using POP3 or IMAP to retrieve or read his messages.

Only with the GMail web interface is SMTP not required for outgoing messages.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Esgrimidor

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »
Please. Exist a correct configuration of gmail accounts for Avast! presence ?

What port ?

Esgrimidor

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
A simple question :

If Avast control the SSL protocol or configuration when I turn off Avast will be impossible to send emails ?¿?¿?¿

Best Regards

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
Please. Exist a correct configuration of gmail accounts for Avast! presence ?

What port ?

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/185949-how-to-configure-the-new-avast-50-to-work-with-gmail/

and remeber that you must activate POP or IMAP in Gmail web settings

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
deleted.