Author Topic: my programs do not run when avast is active  (Read 3746 times)

JakeSanchard

my programs do not run when avast is active
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
Backstory: I used to use Comodo Internet Security Suite but I removed that today because its latest update blocked my internet connection to my router for some reason. I managed to get my subscription money back from comodo because it was a new purchase and I decided to move to avast to see if this issue could be solved and it was. However...

Since avast has been running, none of my games in Steam run at all. I have avast version 6.0.1091 and virus definition version 110506-1

I cannot disable avast like I could with comodo to play games like Team Fortress 2 but now I no longer have that option (I consider this a failing of avast by the way).

I have tried to add the entire Steam directory to the firewall and real time shields exclusions and still not working.

I have tried disabling the entire firewall and real time shields together and still not working

I can no longer go into task manager and kill avast services, again, a failing in my book.

I am running windows 7 64-bit

Now I tried to provide as much info as possible here and I also tried to search for my issue but I couldn't find anything like my own so I am posting here in search of help

Thanks for reading, hope this can be solved  ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: my programs do not run when avast is active
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:00:12 AM »
I can no longer go into task manager and kill avast services, again, a failing in my book.
That is exactly what malware would try to do.....and you want to allow that  ;D
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=48370.0

Full Removal of Comodo Firewall Pro 3 with SafeSurf Toolbar (If Regular Uninstall Method Fails)
http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/full_removal_of_comodo_firewall_pro_3_with_safesurf_toolbar_if_regular_uninstall_method_fails-t17220.0.html

JakeSanchard

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:11:15 AM »
Wow thank you for that quick response. But I was looking for something more permenant and secure but after a bit of reading, this probably can't be done unless game makers rewrite certain game files or security companies allow for their exceptions.

After trying what you suggested, I came to another failure. The option for "Disable avast! self-defense module" re-enables itself after confirming that I want to disable it. Avast also warns me that the avast anti virus system has been stopped.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 01:21:45 AM »
if you search the forum for "steam" you get more info

JakeSanchard

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »
I tried a search, and nothing has helped m issue.

I've completely stopped all avast services and my games still do not load

The only solution is to uninstall avast and get my money back

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:54:33 AM »
Not that this helps fix your problem but I have several steam games and they work fine for me running Avast IS 6.0.1091 under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

JakeSanchard

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »
Not that this helps fix your problem but I have several steam games and they work fine for me running Avast IS 6.0.1091 under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1.

Yeah I have exactly that. Could you share with me your settings in avast, maybe there's something there?

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
The only changes I can think of are, changed firewall to ask from auto-decide and behavior shield to ask from auto-decide. What error(s) do you get when trying to play steam games? If the Firewall was causing problems can you play with steam in offline mode? If not I'd guess the behavior shield is blocking something causing the problems and switching to ask may fix it. I still wonder if Comodo Internet Security uninstalled completely (did you run the clean tool as suggested?) and or the possibility you are infected with something. Might not be a bad idea to run MBAM and see if it finds anything. Also might need to uninstall Avast completely and reinstall. Got to go do yard work x2. Mine and my Dad's, what fun!

Bill 
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

JakeSanchard

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
The only changes I can think of are, changed firewall to ask from auto-decide and behavior shield to ask from auto-decide. What error(s) do you get when trying to play steam games? If the Firewall was causing problems can you play with steam in offline mode? If not I'd guess the behavior shield is blocking something causing the problems and switching to ask may fix it. I still wonder if Comodo Internet Security uninstalled completely (did you run the clean tool as suggested?) and or the possibility you are infected with something. Might not be a bad idea to run MBAM and see if it finds anything. Also might need to uninstall Avast completely and reinstall. Got to go do yard work x2. Mine and my Dad's, what fun!

Bill 

I've already done the yard work, the forums were my last resort. I have done everything you have mentioned in that post.

All my rules for Steam exe and game exe are set to automatically ALLOW, I changed any "Autodecide" to "Allow"

The error is as soon as the game as gone past the intro video, "hl2.exe has stopped responding"

Offline mode didn't run at all, no idea why. It's the least of my worries at this moment, you'll see why later...

CIS was removed using this https://forums.comodo.com/install_setup_configuration_help/cleanup_tool_for_comodo_internet_security-t36499.0.html

MBAM was run this morning and nothing was found, I also ran a scan on the Steam directory. 100% clean.

Also tried a complete uninstall using the avast remover tool and this is where I made a discovery... My games still do not work. I'm now worried that avast has permenantly damaged my system and I may have to completely reformat my harddrive to get rid of it.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
Have you tried to verify the game files from within steam? Right click on a game that goes not work choose properties. Then local files tab, verify integrity of game cache.

Bill

JakeSanchard

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
I fixed my problem. I was hearing hooves and thought horse when really it was a zebra.

TF2 released an update a few days ago which caused crashes on start up in rare cases. I was one of those cases. I just so happen to have installed avast on my system that day so I *thought* it was avast's fault but really it was my video drivers that needed updating.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

P.S. Yes Bill, I did that several times :P

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »
Good to see you have it fixed!

Bill