Author Topic: Windows7 does not detect avast after update  (Read 12589 times)

Jplayer

Re: Windows7 does not detect avast after update
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
But when i do a system health anaylsis that report still says the "Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product"
System health analysis? From what? Which program is running this analysis?
Control Panel > Action Center. What does it report?

200kb is the largest i can send and that cuts out alot of it.
can i email you this? in zip form as it will be alot smaller.
Open in Notepad, go to the end, copy&paste the last full log report (400 lines should do).

Hi Tech,

the action center reports several different things about the system performance and gives you options to do maintenance on the system.
the advanced tools menu gives you tools to:
1-clear all windows experience index scores and re-rate the system
2-view performace details in event log
3-open performance monitor
4-open resource monitor
5-open task mangler (task manager)  ;D
6-view advanced system details in system information
7-adjust the appearance and performance of windows
8-open disk mangler (disk manager)  ;D
9-generate a system health report (this is where i get that warning msg)

ehhh it wont let me post 400 lines, i get msg about exceeding 10000 characters  ::)
lemme put in a txt file and attach it

Thanks
Jplayer

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
This log reveals no problems at all.
Can you check if you have the other one?
The best things in life are free.

Jplayer

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 01:17:43 AM »
This log reveals no problems at all.
Can you check if you have the other one?

Hi Tech,

Well i do have the complete logfile which is alot larger.
There is no way the forum will let me post it unless i break it
up into several files.

As for now its been running good all day without incident so as long as the system is
running ok i might just leave that part as is unless it reveals some other problem later on.

Well i was just checking for the origional log which was like 3mb in size and at some point it got removed.
Probably during the removal and reinstall so i cannot give you what i dont have anymore.
Oh well.
So much for this project....pffft  :P

Thanks for your help and stevens as well.

Jplayer

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:14 AM »
Well, Jplayer, come back when you need further help.

Baldy95307

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
I also started seeing the Win7-64 Action Center message on my system about 3 or 4 days ago also (Windows did not find anti-virus software on this computer). Maybe the latest program updates broke something, dunno. I will add that about 10 days ago I noticed that Avast was disabled and not running. I tried re-enabling it but kept getting an error message. I then un-installed Avast Free and re-installed it. Ran a complete system scan and no threats found. Now after a few updates Win7 Action Center thinks Avast does not exist but it seems to be running just fine. Complete system scans still show no threats.

Maybe I should try that special un-install utility and then re-install Avast Free. I don't like the alternative idea of turning off the Windows Management items because of a conflict between Avast and Win7-64, if there is one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
I don't like the alternative idea of turning off the Windows Management items because of a conflict between Avast and Win7-64, if there is one.
There isn't any conflict.
The turning off/on WMI works in a lot of computers (included mine :)).

Baldy95307

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:32 PM »
I've tried turning off/on WMI and rebooting but still no joy in mudville. I've noticed some other threads about the same problem but I'm unable to discern if it involves Win7-64bit only or if the problem is related to Avast Free v6.0.1125 only. Not enough information yet. But there does seem to be a problem somewhere. I've been using Avast for over a year now with absolutely no problems or conflicts. Seems the latest update broke something as there have been no other major software changes on my system. The Windows Action Center still thinks there is no anti-virus software installed. :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 03:48:19 AM »
I've tried turning off/on WMI and rebooting
Do you mean https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=580 ?

Or run a command line as admin:
net stop winmgmt
del C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository
net start winmgmt (or boot)

What did you do? What is off/on WMI for you?

Baldy95307

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:28 AM »
Or run a command line as admin:
net stop winmgmt
del C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository
net start winmgmt (or boot)

What did you do? What is off/on WMI for you?

I cleared out the Repository using the "old fashioned" method....used MMC to stop the WMI service, manually deleted the Repository folder, and then rebooted which rebuilt the Repository. (I guess I like to point and click instead of type  :o

Still getting the WAC to complain about no AV progam, I once again checked the Repository files and everything was reported as consistent. So I un-installed Avast again but manually deleted all the Avast files and folders left behind including the complete set of Avast files and data left behind in the "C:\Program Data\Avast Software". I then manually swept the registry of all left-over entries mentioning Avast (all appeared to be neutral but I wanted a clean re-install). With Avast completely erased, I once again rebuilt the Repository as described above just to be sure I was starting with a clean slate.

I re-installed Avast 6.0.1125 and almost immediately the WAC said all was good. So far so good!! ;D

One thing I did notice is that previously I had been re-installing Avast v6.0.1019 and then letting the program update itself. This time I started out with 1125. That really should not have been a problem. I never noticed it was a slightly older version until I bothered to check the properties of the file. Sure wish Avast would learn to add version info to the filename otherwise "setup_av_free" doesn't mean much, i. e. "setup_av_free_6.0.1125" would be more informative.

Since things are working, I can safely close this matter out.

Thanks for the help.