Author Topic: False Alarm Avast Pro 4.0  (Read 6634 times)

Towle

False Alarm Avast Pro 4.0
« on: October 10, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »
Avast has a false alarm.  Please contact them and tell them to correct this error.

MooSoft Development Inc
http://www.moosoft.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 2:52 PM
To: 'Cleaner Help Desk'
Subject: Technical Support

Please type your message here.

I have downloaded your program "The Cleaner"  latest version and using under the 30 day evaluation

However "Avast" Antivirus Software has detected a virus in your program.

win32:prorat-I[trj]  found in your "moolive.exe" and also in "tcm.exe"

Can you please explain why a virus would be detected in your software ?

I am very concerned this would happen as your program advertises itself to detect trojans , yet a virus is found in your program.

I would not purchase "The Cleaner" until some satisfactory explanation comes from your development team.
 :(

Delta

Re:False Alarm Avast Pro 4.0
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 09:50:44 AM »
Hi Towle, this is a false positive and it has already been reported, but thanks for posting the info. Hopefully it will be corrected in the next definition update.

Please see

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7754

For the thread where it is first noted and

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7779

For a tutorial on FPs.

Delta.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:52:58 AM by Delta »

Towle

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 10:40:39 AM »
OK that's fine and dandy , when is Avast going to patch this to fix it , rather than let their customers do their dirty work ?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 10:59:04 AM »
They can't just add something to exclusion. You have to send them the sample so they can get the pattern match from it.
Its not a dirty work, thats the way how it goes for all AV.
If you send them the sample they'll fix it. Its that simple.
Read the tutorial.

They do test each definitions on huge set of applications,but sometimes something might not be covered. Its simply too much software out there to test every and each of them (we're talking about thousands of petabytes of software or even more).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Towle

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 11:37:01 AM »
are you saying nobody hasn't done this already ? do they "AVAST" read their own forums and do their own testing? Obviously not by the sounds of it.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 11:40:53 AM »
No, i'm saying that you should send them the sample directly and not asking on forums.

Towle

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 11:50:34 AM »
sorry I am not paid to do their job , they should have fixed this by now.  I paid good money for an "Antivirus Program"  that detects "real" virii . Not imaginary ones.

what does Avast do apart from sitting behind their desks and looking at blank screen ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 11:51:50 AM by Towle »

GYL

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 12:01:34 PM »
Hi Towle! I find you very severe with avast!nobody's perfect,and unlike others AV,Avast! never said it was the best,it only says it tries to do the best for us,and what do you think about this forum?Do you pay for its advices?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 12:01:50 PM »
READ MY WORDS: THEY NEED SAMPLE TO FIX THE FALSE POSITIVE

Do you know which car i'm driving? No. And they also don't know which file couses the false positive unless you send it to them or atleast tell them which program is detected (like Winrar.exe for example)

And every antivirus cause some very small percentage of false positives. After all programs are made by humans which make mistakes as everyone else. As i have mentioned before, they do test each VPS before they publish it,but they cannot test each and every program in the world. Its simply too much data (in quantity of gigabytes if you want).

Towle

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 12:08:06 PM »
so you are saying they "AVAST" can't read their own forums to see the problems themselves and download the free version of Moosoft's "The Cleaner" and test their own program for themselves ?  

Whilst it is admirable your loyalty(noted your'e an  "avast! Evangelist")  to support a company that is supposed to be making an "antivirus" product.  I am sure that they have their own "quality assurance" people to ensure the product detects virii as intended.

They must be pretty useless if they can't download the "free" demo of "The Cleaner" themselves and test it.  If your'e the "extrernal control developer"  why haven't you provided them a sample yourself?  I am really disappointed in this program I paid for , yes I paid for and I don't appreciate being yelled at by someone representing their company.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:12:23 PM by Towle »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 12:27:28 PM »
They do read forums by themself,but problem is resolved faster if you send them mail with sample directly. You did send the mail,but to the wrong peoples (MooSoft instead Alwil).

avast! Evangelist title has nothing to do with my loyalty to Alwil. This is just a title that you get when you write specific number of posts.
So i don't represent the Alwil staff in any way. I'm just a normal user that help them here.

The CAPS LOCKED text was because you appearntly don't undertand me.
Forums are for help that is manly offered by users themself(thats why forums are afterall). Alwil team is also helping,but thats not their main job.
We (the users) cannot help you with false positive,because its the programs internal thing (VPS release in your case), so i recommend you to address it to their virus submission mail (which is also for false positive cases).

Towle

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 12:31:25 PM »
what exactly do I need to put in my email and who do I sent it to ?

Thank you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 12:36:07 PM »
Ok,no need to do that anymore. I just submited the files to Alwil.
The FP will be most probably resolved on monday.

For next time,try reading the false positive mini sticky thread.
I'm sure you'll get all info you need there :)

I hope whole thing will be resolved fast.
Until then,add these two files into exclusion.

Info on how to exclude can be found here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7779