Author Topic: please help  (Read 3149 times)

click85

please help
« on: October 10, 2004, 12:08:38 PM »
I've somehow downloaded an adware virus that replaces my home page and has accompanying pop ups. I've run norton anti virus which tells me the name of the virus as 'Adware.Main.Search.' It also identifies the name of the infected file as system32\cgkef.dll. When I click 'delete' in nortans  the message comes up 'cannot delete, file is either right protected of in use'. I also went into the windows directory and tried to delete the file manually but to no avail with the same message coming up. I then followed Nortons next recommendations which were; 1. Run and download  Nortons virus update. 2.Restart the computor in safe mode. 2. Do a complete system scan on Norton. 3. Delete any infected files. Unfortunately it's when I get to this stage I get the same message 'cannot delete, file is either right protected of in use'. I'm really at a loose end and would very much appreciate any help.
Kind regards  :'(

lee16

Re:please help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »
Hi click85

This is Spyware/Adware not a virus.

I suggest downloading, updating then running these 2 good free programs, they are ad-ware
and spybot.
Also after that could you post a hijackthis log here so we can check your system is clean.

--lee
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 12:34:56 PM by lee16 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 05:05:53 PM »
As Lee said this is not a virus.

However, according to your information you are running Nortons AV, this is a support forum for users of the avast anti-virus software.

Are you running two AVs (are you an avast user?)as this is not a good idea? There are too many possibilities for conflict.

Download HijackThis.zip

Post your hijackthis-Log here for a diagnosis: tomcoyote.org/hjt
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

click85

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:39:04 PM »
Thanks guys, downloaded the ad-aware program and it has completely fixed up the problem. Great to know there are champions like yourselves out there prepared to help others.
Kind regards
click85 ;D