Author Topic: mulitple problems re: ms app excel conflict  (Read 2366 times)

davexx

mulitple problems re: ms app excel conflict
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
hi, I had a discussion with a microsoft rep who said my pc symptom below, might be due to an over ambitious security software.  (have:  xp/mso 2000, 1.6Ghz, 1G ram, new video card pending from 16MB now to 512MB).  not 100% sure if avast problem, or if 50% contribute to other such as low ram video, soon to be fixed.  only happened since installed avast.  have not re-installed memory manager -will try.

- cannot seem to turn off avast to test.  no off / exit button?

- ms excel, on trying to save file intermittently says file save not possible due to a file sharing conflict, and i am forced to save to new file name (which cannot do because of programming losses), or lose data.

other symptoms:  
 - copy of file cannot be renamed for backup (popup says file in use), is a new copy 2 seconds old.
 - or: excel closing for unspecified problem with excel, and needs to close. (may be due to file size/ cond. formats, but file size is 1MB smaller than where that usually happens, & is happening at alarming rate/ when click find/ search etc)

I do not know how to check computer histories/ verify where problem coming from.  I do not think I made any big changes to avast av free on this new/ 4 week old new install.  is there a setting in avast that might affect mso applications / EXCEL ?  thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:54:27 AM by davexx »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: mulitple problems re: ms app excel conflict
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:01 PM »
Is this on a network drive? (you mentioned a "share")?
Also, if it's on a local drive, is it formatted as NTFS or FAT32?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:48:53 AM »
I'm facing problems with Excel too... Closing (crashing). I've repaired MS Office 2007 installation and will try again.
I couldn't even think it could be avast related...
The best things in life are free.

davexx

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:43:14 AM »
hi,  just a home pc, no network share, ntfs.
 - if not important.. did try to add script to excel to keep share from happening, was going to try to include no read only as well.  (not sure what relevant) eg msgbox never occurred:  so does not seem to affect a fix,

If ActiveWorkbook.MultiUserEditing Then
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        ActiveWorkbook.ExclusiveAccess
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
        MsgBox "Workbook Now Exclusive"
    End If
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:55:34 AM by davexx »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »
Please try updating to the current version of Avast 6.0.1125 via the GUI and see if this helps.

If not, please create a mini-dump file for Avast to analyze the problem:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Please, zip and upload the C:\Windows\Memory.dmp file to this anonymous ftp server and name it uniquely: ftp.avast.com/incoming.  Avast will analyze it and respond back to you in this thread or to your email.