Author Topic: Is Avast Free's registration e-mail reply down?  (Read 9479 times)

Bunny01

Re: Is Avast Free's registration e-mail reply down?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
I am having the same problem! I have 9 days left on my free avast, last night I tried to re-register, and it would not let me. I tried SEVERAL times. So I went and applied for a key to get emailed to me. As of this morning still no response for the key, and I still can't re-register. I have dial up and am using AOL.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »
Did Avast alert you to re-register?

The registration via GUI does not need great bandwith - dial up is just fine.

I was able to download virus definitions in expired mode which was weird too. When expired, shouldn't that not work? Or is only real-time protection gets disabled?

You're right, that should not work...

Maybe the easiest way for Avast free users with registration probs would be to just download the newest version 6.0.1125. Then uninstall the existing one and install the new and register right after installation via GUI.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

antdude

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »
Did Avast alert you to re-register?

The registration via GUI does not need great bandwith - dial up is just fine.

I was able to download virus definitions in expired mode which was weird too. When expired, shouldn't that not work? Or is only real-time protection gets disabled?

You're right, that should not work...

Maybe the easiest way for Avast free users with registration probs would be to just download the newest version 6.0.1125. Then uninstall the existing one and install the new and register right after installation via GUI.
Yes, Avast alerted that it my license key expired and I can reregister to get a new one or buy the Pro. version.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
It looks like there are some server problems momentarily.
Give it a day or two....
Free MBAM Clear

Jack 1000

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
If you register in the Avast-GUI as described in my link, there will be no email. No key you have to type in.
You enter your details, click "register" and it's done.

That's always how I have done it as well.  And it works.  This does bring up a question that I have.  What does Avast use your e-mail address for on-line registration you do not need it for on-line registration?  I know you have to enter your e-mail registration for off-line registration, than you check your e-mail and put the license key in the program.

Is Avast E-Mail entry for the on-line registration form just for statistical purposes?

Jack

Jack 1000

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
One thing that you want to do, is wait for the pop-notice that the license key is set to expire and than re-register.  I have had no problem going through the GUI to do that.  Having said that, this was always with version 5.  I have not had to do any re-registrations for license keys with version 6. (Set to Expire on August 12, 2011.)

I have a note in my calender after I do registrations about a year after to remind me about the expiration dates.  Just in case Avast forgets, hasn't failed me yet in this regard! LOL!

Jack

antdude

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:20:06 AM »
Weird! I booted up the old Dell Optiplex GX270 and Avast was back to normal with the updated list for 5/9/2012 and it acknowledged I reregistered last night! WEIRD!!!!!! I also got the program updates so I rebooted. Still good right now. I have NO idea what happened last night!

BTW, I still haven't gotten the e-mails after two days. BUT I did get it instantly in my Gmail account when I tried it earlier. I guess EarthLink and zimage.com didn't like the e-mails? :(

antdude

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
Really interesting.
Yeah, weird.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
It was a server problem for sure.
Glad you're back on track with your Avast.

Cheers
Zyndstoff
Free MBAM Clear

antdude

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
It was a server problem for sure.
Glad you're back on track with your Avast.

Cheers
Zyndstoff
Thanks. It still works this morning. I did a full scan overnight since I was worried that the system might have got infected last night. ;)

Jack 1000

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
Weird! I booted up the old Dell Optiplex GX270 and Avast was back to normal with the updated list for 5/9/2012 and it acknowledged I reregistered last night! WEIRD!!!!!! I also got the program updates so I rebooted. Still good right now. I have NO idea what happened last night!

BTW, I still haven't gotten the e-mails after two days. BUT I did get it instantly in my Gmail account when I tried it earlier. I guess EarthLink and zimage.com didn't like the e-mails? :(

Thank you for the report!  Glad Avast is back to normal now!  It sounded like a server issue.  When you did the off-line license key registration for your Gmail address, did it come through in your Inbox, or did you have to check the Spam folder?  I assume that you checked the spam folder for Earthlink's e-mail?  Not familiar with zimage.com.

Avast community, assuming that the user's license key was not received in his Earthlink e-mail, what would be the reason for not getting the license key e-mail?  Would this be an Earthlink problem or an Avast problem?

Jack

antdude

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »

Thank you for the report!  Glad Avast is back to normal now!  It sounded like a server issue.  When you did the off-line license key registration for your Gmail address, did it come through in your Inbox, or did you have to check the Spam folder?  I assume that you checked the spam folder for Earthlink's e-mail?  Not familiar with zimage.com.

Avast community, assuming that the user's license key was not received in his Earthlink e-mail, what would be the reason for not getting the license key e-mail?  Would this be an Earthlink problem or an Avast problem?

Jack
Jack, Gmail was in its inbox just fine. As for EarthLink, I did again just now. Still nothing from Avast. Zimage.com is my friend's server. He has his own domain and e-mail server with Spamassassin.

Eagle2a

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »
I had the same issue when I registered for a new license key about 2 days ago. I never received it and had to manually force them to resend the key, which worked. However, Avast! sent me the same key from a year ago when I first registered. (!) Do I have to wait until the current key expires before I can get a new one?

Jack 1000

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
I had the same issue when I registered for a new license key about 2 days ago. I never received it and had to manually force them to resend the key, which worked. However, Avast! sent me the same key from a year ago when I first registered. (!) Do I have to wait until the current key expires before I can get a new one?

OK,

For everyone that has downtime with e-mail registration, I assume that you tried the on-line registration first and it didn't work?  When you open the Avast GUI and click on the Registration Tab, what do you get when you fill out the form and click submit?  Screenshots if you can provide them please?  When I registered last year with Avast 5 (on-line) I did it on line, and filled out the form.  It asked for my e-mail address as a part of the form, but when I clicked submit, it just said you are registered. There was no confirmation e-mail for the on-line registration.

You get a column choice of keeping the free version or going to a paid version. (Avast Pro or  Avast INS.)  I just clicked on Register for Avast Free inside the GUI and filled out the on-line registration form.  There is confirmation e-mail for off-line registration. On-Line registration has you fill out an e-mail address for the form, but you don't have to wait for the e-mail. Click submit and you are done.

The purpose of the screenshots would be for the community to see what happens if Avast's on-line registration fails.  What does Avast say after clicking submit?  Barring an unforeseen need to reinstall or some bug, I am not due for re-registration of Avast 6 till my expiration date of August 12, 2011.  That means I will be getting the pop-up notice around August 1st.

antdude

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »

OK,

For everyone that has downtime with e-mail registration, I assume that you tried the on-line registration first and it didn't work?  When you open the Avast GUI and click on the Registration Tab, what do you get when you fill out the form and click submit?  Screenshots if you can provide them please?  When I registered last year with Avast 5 (on-line) I did it on line, and filled out the form.  It asked for my e-mail address as a part of the form, but when I clicked submit, it just said you are registered. There was no confirmation e-mail for the on-line registration.

You get a column choice of keeping the free version or going to a paid version. (Avast Pro or  Avast INS.)  I just clicked on Register for Avast Free inside the GUI and filled out the on-line registration form.  There is confirmation e-mail for off-line registration. On-Line registration has you fill out an e-mail address for the form, but you don't have to wait for the e-mail. Click submit and you are done.

The purpose of the screenshots would be for the community to see what happens if Avast's on-line registration fails.  What does Avast say after clicking submit?  Barring an unforeseen need to reinstall or some bug, I am not due for re-registration of Avast 6 till my expiration date of August 12, 2011.  That means I will be getting the pop-up notice around August 1st.
For me two nights ago, I did not see any errors (e.g., not connecting) about my online registration in disabled/expired Avast Free v6 program. Then, later I tried the manual registration to get a new license key when I noticed no e-mails.