Author Topic: Avast 4.8 for Windows XP doesn't update.  (Read 8275 times)

Offline xode

Avast 4.8 for Windows XP doesn't update.
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:49:24 AM »
Updating using the program says "package is broken."  Updating using the latest vpsupd file gives the error shown in the attached jpg file.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast 4.8 for Windows XP doesn't update.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:09 AM »
Version 4.8 is now very out of date, and no longer supported.
Provided you are using a suitable OS (XP or higher) go to http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and download the latest version. Save the installer file to your desktop.
Download the uninstaller here http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe (direct download) and save it to your desktop.
- Go offline.
- Uninstall Avast via the control panel.
- Reboot
- Run the uninstall utility. Reboot.
- Run the new setup file. Reboot.
- Go online again.

You should now have a new, functioning version of Avast.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

eclectic-sol

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »

I am getting the same "broken package" error on three machines and have come here for the first time in many months to check why.

I purchased a valid three year licence for V4.8 for three business-use XP machines in January 2010 which has nearly two years to run. How can V4.8 be "unsupported" when I have paid for support.

I have not installed a later version because I assumed my licence key was not valid for newer major versions.

Is my licence key valid on V5 or V6? If 'yes', why does V4.8 program update not automatically advise of update to V5 / V6 when available!

Jim Evans
Eclectic Solutions Ltd,
Chelford, Cheshire, UK

Offline xode

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »

Except that it is since I was able to download the latest 400.vps file for it, after I had downloaded the failed vpsupd4.exe file.  It is also the latest version available for linux, which I also use Avast for.  Now, can you please tell me why the regular update isn't working and how to fix it?

eclectic-sol

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
I am getting the same "broken package" error

The broken package error on update 110511-01 is no longer happening - I assume the package has been fixed.

The question remains: does my 4.8 Professional Licence Key work with later major versions in which case I will upgrade. Otherwise I expect 4.8 to be supported until the paid for licences expire.

Jim Evans
Eclectic Solutions Ltd
Chelford Cheshire UK

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
I am getting the same "broken package" error

The broken package error on update 110511-01 is no longer happening - I assume the package has been fixed.

The question remains: does my 4.8 Professional Licence Key work with later major versions in which case I will upgrade. Otherwise I expect 4.8 to be supported until the paid for licences expire.

Jim Evans
Eclectic Solutions Ltd
Chelford Cheshire UK

It will work. Your licence is valid for three years. Unlike many other Avast also includes major updates.
You should be able to update via the Avast GUI or you can uninstall the old version and download the installer for new versions and reinstall (which I would clearly prefer).
When installing new you do need the email account that you used to register the paid version, since the type of registering / licensing has changed.
Click here: CLICK! to have your licence resend to your original email-address.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

eclectic-sol

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
It will work. Your licence is valid for three years. Unlike many other Avast also includes major updates.

That is good news and thankyou, Steven, for the quick response. I will upgrade all my systems!

Regards
Jim Evans

tbpar

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
Hello all,

I am still getting the "broken package" error when I try to update the virus definitions (vps-11051101.vpu), even though eclectic-sol reported that it is fine now. Does it take some time for all the servers to get the fixed version of the definition files?

I am running Avast 4.8 Pro (on a desktop and a notebook) and Avast 4.8 Server (on a Win2000 server) and the error appears on all three machines. Avast 4.8 on the notebook was installed freshly today, but because of the error it can't install the virus definition updates.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
VPS Update downloads: CLICK!
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

tbpar

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Hello Zyndstoff,

thanks for the link, but I tried this already:
I get the error message shown in the attached picture (also with a newly downloaded vpsupd4.exe)

Thanks, Andreas

Arcom

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
I have the same problem on multiple computers.  I opened a support ticket yesterday.  The response I received did not address the problem, just (unhelpfully) suggested using a newer version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
Isn't it ST:0x2000001D ?
Edited: David deleted his own post.
The best things in life are free.

98seavastuser

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
I seem to have this broken package problem with 4.8 (but using 98SE, so I have to stick with 4.8 which has been brilliant up to now).  Automatic updates since 10 May have failed.  Manual attempts then fail because they think there is no need to update, since the new update is downloaded somewhere even if not installed.  I went back to a clone from 22 April.  Update still failed, now leaving the vps at 22 April.  In other words updates from 22 April to 10 May worked at the time but now no update works.  Has there been a change which means 4.8 will now never be usable, or usable only under XP, or is there an Avast problem which will be fixed?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 03:35:17 PM »
I seem to have this broken package problem with 4.8 (but using 98SE, so I have to stick with 4.8 which has been brilliant up to now).  Automatic updates since 10 May have failed.  Manual attempts then fail because they think there is no need to update, since the new update is downloaded somewhere even if not installed.  I went back to a clone from 22 April.  Update still failed, now leaving the vps at 22 April.  In other words updates from 22 April to 10 May worked at the time but now no update works.  Has there been a change which means 4.8 will now never be usable, or usable only under XP, or is there an Avast problem which will be fixed?
Please, upload (attach) the avast log:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\Setup.log
or C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
Hello,
try to update VPS, which was just released -- 110512-0.

Milos