Author Topic: Internal program error due to a bug or corrupted data  (Read 6491 times)

Gillou

Internal program error due to a bug or corrupted data
« on: October 14, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »
Hello,
I have just installed Avast! 4 Home on my aunt's computer, and it won't work... I had to uninstall it for the moment, but i'd like to make it work since i heard some very good stuff about this antivirus.
Here are some details: after installation, it worked properly during one day. When i came back the day after, it wasn't working anymore... At windows startup, Avast! was loaded and something kept accessing the hard drive. When the HDD access stopped, i got an error message from Avast! saying (i am translating what i can remember from the message in French):
Avast! encountered an internal error. It can be due to a bug or corrupted data.
No error code or fix advice, so i am completely lost. Strange thing is that it did work the first day... I tried to uninstall/reinstall it, and now it just doesn't work at the first time: still the same error message at windows startup.
So i totally removed it for the moment... Can you guess what's wrong ? THanks for your help !

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Internal program error due to a bug or corrupted data
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:32:11 AM »
See if the avast log file(s) are still on the drive. If so let us know the exact error(s) that is/are in them.

You can also try this:
- Remove avast using the uninstall util from the website
- Reboot
- Reinstall Avast.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:38:31 AM by Eddy »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:40:18 AM »
What is your operating system?
Are there any unpXXXXXXXX (XX = some numbers) files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

Gillou

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:55:13 AM »
See if the avast log file(s) are still on the drive
Are there any unpXXXXXXXX (XX = some numbers) files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

i don't think i kept any log, i have completely removed avast. However, i used the automatic error report tool, so i guess i must have some useful information in the sent items folder of my aunt's mailer. I'll get the mail and post it here.

What is your operating system?
WinXP Home SP2

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:45:52 PM »
Gillou, you won't regret on trying to solve this inconvenience. avast! worths it! avast works perfectly at WinXP Home SP2. If we can know a little bit more about the problem, well, we'll be here to help  8)
The best things in life are free.

Gillou

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 02:23:16 PM »
Gillou, you won't regret on trying to solve this inconvenience. avast! worths it!
Yes, that's exactly why i'm on this forum trying to understand what's wrong. 'Caus all i heard about avast is really some pretty good stuff, and i'd like to make it work !

My aunt forwarded me the avast! crash report automatically generated. I have put it here (because the message was too long to be posted).
I don't know anything about crash reports, i'm not even sure everything will be useful. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I guess the most important information would be:
"C:\PROGRA~1\Avast4\ashmaisv.exe caused an Access Violation at location 7c015531 in module MSVCR70.dll Reading from location 00f00fdc."

Thanks !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 02:26:38 PM »
Ok, you're problem solution could be here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7652

Or even here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1415

Can you browse that threads a little?
The best things in life are free.

Gillou

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 03:00:08 PM »
Can you browse that threads a little?

Sure ! I have just read them and from what i understood (which might not be a lot, since this is a bit complicated for a newbie like me  :-\), the problem could be caused by a wrong version of 3 dll : MSVCI70.dll, MSVCR70.dll and MSVCP70.dll. The version should be 7.0.9466.0 instead of 7.0.9447.0.

I checked the "Using modules" section of my crash report, and here's what i read regarding those 3 files:
Code: [Select]
MSVCI70.dll: 7.0.9466.0  05/01/2002  12:38:36  54784 bytes (C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCI70.dll, image: 7C060000)
MSVCR70.dll: 7.0.9466.0  05/01/2002  12:37:26  344064 bytes (C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCR70.dll, image: 7C000000)
MSVCP70.dll: 7.0.9466.0  05/01/2002  12:40:18  487424 bytes (C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCP70.dll, image: 7C080000)
It appears that i (actualli my aunt!) have the correct revisions of the DLLs.
This should therefore be another problem, unless i missed something ?

Thanks for helping  ???

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:00:53 PM »
I think I know what the problem is - I've seen a similar report recently.

The problem seems to be related to the fact that your computer name contains non-English character (the second one: É). They are treated in a wrong way... I have (hopefully) fixed the problem already - it should be corrected in the next avast! update. Until then, I'm afraid you cannot do much about it (except for renaming your computer).

Gillou

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »
The problem seems to be related to the fact that your computer name contains non-English character (the second one: É). They are treated in a wrong way... I have (hopefully) fixed the problem already - it should be corrected in the next avast! update. Until then, I'm afraid you cannot do much about it (except for renaming your computer).

What's wrong with french characters, this is discrimination!!! ;D
No problem, i will change my aunt's computer's name, this won't be an issue as she's not using it on a network. Anyway, i won't tell her to simplify  :D

I'll let you know as soon as i have done it (it could take a while, her computer is at her place. maybe i'll go this afternoon)
Thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »
That's certainly not to discriminate French users - we discovered the same problem on our own (Czech) letters ;D

Gillou

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 08:30:34 PM »
GREAT NEWS!!! It works!!!
I just changed the computer's name from Cécile to Cecile and it is now working...!!!
The problem seemed so complicated and the resolution is so easy! Thank you very much for helping me through this issue, now i'm happy with a working avast!
Thx, and continue your great job!

Gillou, from France

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 09:18:46 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation!

I was rather sure about the reason, but we actually didn't have a feedback about it. This problem will be fixed in avast! 4.5 (so you'll be free to use any characters you like in the computer name again).