Author Topic: [Resolved]Should I do a reinstall?  (Read 3041 times)

HeavyD25271

[Resolved]Should I do a reinstall?
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:36:21 AM »
I downloaded avast! for the first time today, and at the same time I had another anti virus running. I also had Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm Firewall running.

Since the avast! install, I have thoroughly uninstalled norton and turned off windows defender and windows firewall.(Should I uninstall those two: windows defender and windows firewall?)

I need some advice before I uninstall avast!, turn off Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm, and do a fresh install of avast!. I plan to turn on Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm after I reinstall avast!.

Is all this necessary, and if so is there a link to the tool for removing avast!?

I hope this all makes since. I've been working for endless hours and days on securing my system after a fraudulent "win7 anti spyware security" attack, and any help with fortifying my computer is much appreciated. I can't afford to have my computer crash at the beginning of finals week again.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:27:45 PM by HeavyD25271 »

Gargamel360

Re: Should I do a reinstall?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:45:32 AM »
(Should I uninstall those two: windows defender and windows firewall?)
As far as Defender goes, you might not be able to if you are on Win7, you can only turn it off then.  But yeah, you can at least turn them both off, imo.  Some say Defender is worth keeping on, others not.

Is all this necessary, and if so is there a link to the tool for removing avast!?
Well, are you having any problems?  Is this some kind of pre-emptive reinstall?

HeavyD25271

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
I'm told I shouldn't have installed avast! before I removed norton, because you should never have two antivirus programs running at the same time. I was advised to reinstall avast! because norton could have compromised the install. I thought maybe Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm Firewall should be off as well, to avoid restricting avast! in any way.

Does anyone have a link to avast's removal tool?

Gargamel360

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:50 AM »
Ok, if you really want to be double sure.  Here, with instructions>>http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:56:38 AM »
I'm told I shouldn't have installed avast! before I removed norton, because you should never have two antivirus programs running at the same time. I was advised to reinstall avast! because norton could have compromised the install.
This is the Norton/Symantec Uninstaller Tool: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Since Symantec is known to leave remnants behind, you can also go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly upon boot up), once in Safe Mode go to Advance Search > enter "sym" into the search box and see if anything comes up.  Do the same but type in symlcbrd.sys , which is a Symantec Core Service BIOS reader.  Do it again but type in Symantec, and again but type in NIS or NAV (depending on what you had installed on the machine).  If you are uncertain of the files that come up on the search, right click on the file to show you Properties and you can tell if it belongs to Symantec...if it does you can delete it then empty your recycle bin and restart your machine.

You are correct in that having more than 1 AV on your machine can cause conflicts and possibly corrupt the other AV, so a clean install is suggested of Avast.

1. Save a copy of Avast (for the product you need) and save it to your HDD:
http://www.avast.com/download-software – all products (Free, Pro, AIS)
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

It is safe to run MBAM (Malwarebytes) either Free or Pro versions with Avast.  If you use the Pro (paid) version, you may want to add MBAM to Avast exclusions under Settings and in the Real-time File Shield and Behavior Shield.

You also want to add Avast to your ZA FW trusted exclusions and vice versa.  Some users have had problems with ZA FW, but this issue should be resolved now.  Should you have problems/conflicts, please report back to us on this issue.

Please report back on how things go and if your issue is resolved.  Thank you.  :)

HeavyD25271

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:02 AM »
Issue resolved.

Norton was as nasty to get rid of as you said it would be.

I never did get advanced search to work in safe mode. Outside of safe mode, I used the "see more results" search option after clicking the start button and typing into "search items and files". I think I eliminated all traces.

Everything else was quick and painless.

Thanks for the thorough advice.  :)

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Should I do a reinstall?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
I'm glad to hear that everything is working fine for you now.  :D

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.