Author Topic: antivirus tests are faked?  (Read 4100 times)

vbwx

antivirus tests are faked?
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
and more like that, and it doesn't even make sense.
how is that possible that those lame anti viruses get to be at the top 10 but avast! won't?
sounds to me like sites are faking the truth, cuz avast! is the king.  ::)
i.e: WEBROOT get to be num.3! come'on! webroot? this company is lame..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:01:38 AM by love2code »

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: antivirus tests are faked?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:19:51 AM »
how is that possible that those lame anti viruses get to be at the top 10 but avast! won't?

Looks like there are dollars signs over those programs.

Do you think that means anything? ???
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:27:13 AM »
Uh...did you notice that those were all "paid" products. avast enters the "free" version for av-comparitives.org.
On av-comparitives.org avast always score high. Beating even some of the "paid" products. Till they do their testing don't worry about what others have to say. West Coast Labs is another good testing outfit. Both of these are highly regarded.  :)

Went to av-comparitives.org and...they tested 5.1.889. They did their testing in 2/11 "before" 6.0.xxx was released.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:39:32 AM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

vbwx

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:38:48 AM »
Uh...did you notice that those were all "paid" products. avast enters the "free" version for av-comparitives.org.
On av-comparitives.org avast always score high. Beating even some of the "paid" products. Till they do their testing don't worry about what others have to say. West Coast Labs is another good testing outfit. Both of these are highly regarded.  :)
a kid from another forum came to me and said that avast! isnt a good antivirus (he uses NOD32 which on igster test found 0/15 malwares and avast missed only 3!)
the reason he said that was because he got pissed on me for laughing at nod32 because it was a failure in that test, so i told him that he's wrong and gave him
proves. so he showed me this site and said that this site is famous and he knows it very good and avast got a bad place (yeah right he just googled it!)..
anyway, i gave him a link to an av comparison which shows that avast! got the best result with 98.5% virus detection and it wasnt enough for him and then he started to curse haha.
but 1 thing was still in my mind, although i feel bad for him and i know that avast! rule and nod32 isn't what it used to be, how is it possible that av comparison sites
claim on their top 10 av that vipre, avg and webroot (wtf?) are better than avast! (which gets to be only 11..?!) this is a total lie and i dont understand why does avast team
doesn't sue them for their lies.

oh and this is from the av comparison site:

Summary:

Overall, the new 6.0 version of Avast Pro Antivirus is a great choice, and it is certainly one of the best antivirus software applications available. The antivirus software is not only one of the most effective, but also one of the most efficient. We’re glad they didn’t mess with the sleek user interface, and we are excited about the innovative new features like WebRep and SafeZone. And while we would have liked to see a few more features and better malware removal, we can definitely recommend Avast Pro Antivirus as a serious contender among the best antivirus software. http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/avast-review.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:45:32 AM by dns »

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
They rank Avast! Pro at #11 and the review of it is very positive. They seem to only be concerned with paid versions. They probably get a cut off any that are sold from their page.

The one thing they say Avast! should have is Anti-Phishing protection. I would think that's a job best left to the Browser.  The Web Shield and Network Shield probably do protect against phishing attempts but because they aren't named that way, they didn't get it. Maybe they need a better detection rate themselves when they do their testing and reviews.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:51:35 AM by Dch48 »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »

Looks like there are dollars signs over those programs.

Do you think that means anything? ???

+1 on that
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
Please see this post about toptenreviews.com that I wrote more than 6 years ago: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12175.msg102828#msg102828

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vbwx

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
Please see this post about toptenreviews.com that I wrote more than 6 years ago: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12175.msg102828#msg102828

Thanks
Vlk
great.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:56 AM »
A result-paid test is never reliable.
A commissioned review is never reliable.
We need independence and the first of them will be the financial one.
The best things in life are free.