Author Topic: guys need help again!  (Read 3831 times)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
guys need help again!
« on: October 09, 2004, 05:23:21 AM »
Turned pc on tonight, keyboard did not work, disconnected at cables, untangled all wires. put all back in same places, restarted pc , keyboard ok, now no sound, have I missed something? did a virus scan just in case, all clear, anybody any ideas ???

Gene Johnson

Re:guys need help again!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 07:32:26 AM »
Suszannah: If you look at where the audio is plugged in on the back of your computer, you will see a couple of jacks that are the same size. if you plug into the wrong one you get no sound. Take a check.

You might try turning up your hearing aid also. Yuck, yuck.

Gene.........

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 11:58:55 AM »
Any errors in device manager?
Sound control panel, nothing muted there?

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 02:46:50 AM »
Gene, put plug back in the one marked speaker, put all wires back to as they were..........hearing aid battery has been changed......... ;D

Eddy, Havn't messed with anything, in control panel, no idea about device manager ??? couldn't understand why keyboard went funny, then the sound, I thought a virus may have caused it, but avast says all clear, rechecked wires, still no sound  ???

inthewildteam

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 03:06:38 AM »
If you have powered speakers, are they plugged in and connected?  Do they have a separate power supply for their amplifier?  You didn't unplug them to do the cleaning behind the pc did you?  not a sexist thing btw, my wife did the same thing............ it was the last thing I checked!

neal62

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:02:32 AM »
Suszannah,

Does your keyboard by any chance have a sound volumn button on it?
I know I had a H.P. pc once that had its own H.P. keyboard, had the volumn control ON the keyboard that allowed a user to adjust volumn from the keyboard. If it does have you tried changing out the keyboard for another one that does not have a sound adjustment on the keyboard? Just a thought. :)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 05:09:08 PM »
 :-[  thanks for info guys, a friend popped in yesterday and took a look, guess what yours truly had done, plugged it into he socket marked speaker, but it was the speaker socket to go with the microphone, didn't know I had two, but I do now!!!!!!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 02:21:48 AM by SUSZANNAH »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 06:39:06 PM »
Yeah, speakers OUT (or LINE OUT) are usually marked as light green circles around that little hole... not always, but on most new cards it's like that...

If you have sound card with 2 lines out, one is for front speakers, one is for rear speakers. If you plug your speakers jack into rear speakers line out, and you don't enable QUADRAPHONIC SPEAKERS feature from Speakers settings in SOUNDS, SPEACH and AUDIO DEVICES, you won't hear anything...

Anyway, if you are using just 2 desktop speakers, choose DESKTOP STEREO SPEAKERS from the same menu...

Cheers !