Author Topic: Avast 6.0.1125 not loading WebShield sometimes on user account  (Read 4985 times)

jumpingjacks

Running xp pro sp3, newest avast free version and always most recent updates. Sometimes WebShield fails to start with windows on user accounts??? FIX NOW restarts feature successfully. All scans with avast and other "tools" show no viruses/malware. Reinstalled Avast a couple of times with the same result. All other shield's are running except WebShield on restart....sometimes???

SafeSurf

Re: Avast 6.0.1125 not loading WebShield sometimes on user account
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
1. Did you have this problem with previous versions of Avast?

2. Did you upgrade or do a clean install to the current version you have now? 

3. When you did the reinstall, did you use the Avast Uninstaller Tool and removal ALL previous versions and products of Avast?

4. What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?  Sometimes remnants can cause issues/conflicts. 

jumpingjacks

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
Yes, problems with this before. 2, yes, clean install. 3-belive me, it was uninstalled correctly. 4-mostly known ones, but some of the great tools were used.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
Please list all your current and past security tools as this may be the problem, and how you uninstalled each one.

Zooropa

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
Do I have to do a clean install when every update is available really?
why offer to update from the GUI then?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
Do I have to do a clean install when every update is available really?

No.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:43:58 AM »
jumpingjacks, seems a conflict with a bad uninstalled antivirus or security programs that you've used in the past. Which are they?
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
Please list all your current and past security tools as this may be the problem, and how you uninstalled each one.
jumpingjacks, seems a conflict with a bad uninstalled antivirus or security programs that you've used in the past. Which are they?
Agree with you Tech.  Still waiting for the OP to reply.

jumpingjacks

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
Thanx for the replies. Other security programs installed are, and still are, lavasofts ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, left windows firewall on and router uses nat. This particular machine had avast, and only avast, installed on it for antivirus protection. New harddrive as well. 6.0.1125 was installed as a whole package, not an upgrade. When I uninstall, I do it from add/remove programs in control panel as well as delete any left behind folders in program files folder and any folders in windows folders as well as delete obsolete registry entries linked to the program. Still, the WebShield does not load sometimes. However, I have found that the MailShield was not installed? I have reinstalled avast again making sure that the MailShield was chosen...crossing fingers and hope this resolves the issue?!

jumpingjacks

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
IF the MailShield being absent DOES resolve this issue, why? Do all of the avast "shields" rely on each other for the program to operate properly? Are the MailShield and the WebShiled linked somehow? I'm just wondering and will keep this thread updated if the problem persists. Thanx again for your help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
Other security programs installed are, and still are, lavasofts ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, left windows firewall on and router uses nat.

Drop Spybot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
Other security programs installed are, and still are, lavasofts ad-aware, spybot search and destroy <snip>
We have seen many users have problems with SB (especially with Teatimer ), so I agree to uninstall it.

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html.
-   How to disable Spybot-S&D (temporarily).  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/disable.html .  Even though it says temporarily, the resident parts of SpyBot Search & Destroy must be enabled manually if disabled in this manner.  TeaTimer doesn't load into memory at all when disabled.

In addition, Adaware has now become obsolete and has been replaced with MBAM (Malwarebytes) http://www.malwarebytes.org/, which most of us use here as either on-demand (free) or resident (paid/one-time) and does not conflict with Avast.

Make sure you reboot your machine in between each uninstall.  If you find any problems with Avast after doing the uninstalls of the other programs, try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Report back how thing work.  Thank you.

Edit:  Something weird is going on with the forum because my fonts are changing. :o

jumpingjacks

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »
So far, the problem has not returned, but it's still too soon to be for sure. I use Spybot Search and Destroy but I do not use the Tea Timer feature. I only use it for the scan and "immunization". I can't see how Spybot would or could interfere with avast at that level? Thanx for the info on the new Lavasoft product, I haven't upgraded yet but will look into it. The reason I use both is because what one product doesn't catch, the other does. As adware/spyware programs, they seem to work well together. It's too bad antivirus programs couldn't do that.