Author Topic: avast settings  (Read 3444 times)

amtojsingh88

avast settings
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
hey i was wondering if avast default settings are good enough or do i have to make some changes to them ?
also i wanted to know that it gives an option to "scan whole files (may be slow for very big files)" and "scan for PUP's" which are not by defaul on....should i turn them on ??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast settings
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
Well, you need to get used to avast or take some time to learn it.
If you can't, let the default settings. They're thought to be a good balance between performance and protection and suitable for non-technical users.

But, if you want, you can check both of that options :)
The best things in life are free.

ben3236

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
I think you just need to turn on PUP Scan .That scans any unwanted keylogger programs!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
First...welcome to the forum. That said for a "newbie" I would suggest using default settings for now. When you are more acquainted with avast then you can always "create" a custom scan. But for now default settings are good. PUP (potentially unwanted programs) are pretty much root-kits. I have them on, some leave them off. I would strongly urge you to leave the "packers" settings alone. As far as frequency of scans some scan once a week, others more often. Personally I run a full system scan two times a week with a quick scan every other day. Other software which you may find useful are malwarebytes and super anti-spyware.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

Hope this helps.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »
PUPs are NOT 'pretty much rootkits,' they are what it says on the tin, Potentially Unwanted Programs. Rootkits really aren't programs that are unwanted as they generally aren't installed by the user, but there are programs that use rootkit style functionality to protect themselves, etc...

Many tool which can be used for good or evil fall into that category as if installed by the user not a problem (it is serving its good purpose), if it wasn't installed by the user then it is more likely to be unwanted.

Switching on PUPs during scans, does require an amount of knowledge of what is on your system and why it might be considered a PUP as you will have to make an informed decision when avast alerts should it find one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »
PUPs are NOT 'pretty much rootkits,' they are what it says on the tin, Potentially Unwanted Programs. Rootkits really aren't programs that are unwanted as they generally aren't installed by the user, but there are programs that use rootkit style functionality to protect themselves, etc...

Sorry DavidR, but I have seen both terms being used in the same manner. Thanks I learned something new.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.