Author Topic: AVAST Anti Virus and Keylogger lite  (Read 5381 times)

Spartan48

AVAST Anti Virus and Keylogger lite
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:28:49 PM »
I have a Compaq Presario running XP sp2 (1024 mb DDRSdram, 2.80 ghz intel celeron processor).  I have the AVAST freeware anti-virus program installed and running.  I have downloaded Blazing tools "Keylogger Lite".  As soon as the program is done loading AVAST tells me I have a virus "win32.trojan-gen" and advises that I delete one of the .dll files.  I have un-installed the keylogger program, run a scan and turned up no viruses.  Re installed the keylogger, and get the same message (virus warning; "win32.trojan-gen")  .  Do I really have a virus, or is the anti-virus program "tagging" the .dll file as a virus?  How can I get Avast to ignore the .dll file if it isn't a virus?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:AVAST Anti Virus and Keylogger lite
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 07:34:57 PM »
Most (if not all) keyloggers are considered malware, so it is a good thing that Avast detects it.

Spartan48

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:42:30 PM »
I don't have a problem with AVAST detecting it, but I need to keep it running, and I need to stay in stealth mode.  Any suggestions?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 08:29:25 PM »
Add it to exclusion.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Spartan48

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 08:53:30 PM »
Not at home right now, so I will check on it when I get off work.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 10:30:11 PM »
It is probably worth checking the offending file with an on-line virus scanner, just to confirm.

Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
www.virusscan.jotti.dhs.org if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive.

If you are getting a virus warning that you believe is a false positive, then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces).

Give a brief outline of the problem, the fact that you believe it to be a false positive and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.

Also see (Mini Sticky) False Positives

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security