Author Topic: slow to load, droped internet conection  (Read 2136 times)

sweets

slow to load, droped internet conection
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »
My computer was shut down for 12 days while I was away, no one had access, ever since my return last week my computer has been running very slowly, pages load slowly and dropped internet connections (dialup). Scans with Avast reveal no infections. Then there are times when everything runs quickly as was the case before I left
Where do I begin...

SafeSurf

Re: slow to load, droped internet conection
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:15:27 PM »
1. Are your virus definitions up to date?

2. Are you using the current (new) version of Avast (6.0.1125)?  Did you upgrade or do a clean install?

3. If yes to the above questions, is your firewall (FW) blocking anything related to Avast?

4. If no to question 3, reset your setting for Avast in your FW.  Does this fix your problem?

5. Do you have your Avast settings set for dial-up?

sweets

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »

1. Are your virus definitions up to date? yes

2. Are you using the current (new) version of Avast (6.0.1125)?  Did you upgrade or do a clean install? yes

3. If yes to the above questions, is your firewall (FW) blocking anything related to Avast? How do I tell?

4. If no to question 3, reset your setting for Avast in your FW.  Does this fix your problem?  How do I reset the  Windows Firewall for Avast?

5. Do you have your Avast settings set for dial-up?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »
2. Are you using the current (new) version of Avast (6.0.1125)?  Did you upgrade or do a clean install? yes

Which was it?  Did you upgrade?

Or, did you do a clean install?

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
@ sweets,

Please answer Gopher John's question in your next post.  It is important for us to know whether you upgraded or did an uninstall and clean install of your product.

Settings:
Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy, complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Configuring your Firewall:
Please read knowledge article under "Firewalls" for more information on AIS (the product you installed) on how to configure, reset your firewall, etc. http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1

Resetting the Router and Firewall:
Does AIS allow avastSvc.exe internet access?
- If it does, delete the entry for it and reconnect to the Internet.  This should force the firewall to ask permission again.
- To reset a router, stick the end of a paperclip in the reset hole while the router is off for a minute, then turn the router back on.

The above should help you clarify some things I previously posted.  Please report back with the answers to my first post.  Thank you.