Author Topic: avast freezes system (win 7HP x64)  (Read 2624 times)

smutny

avast freezes system (win 7HP x64)
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Hi!
Recently my cousin has bought a new Asus K53E notebook. She brought it to me for further "manipulation" :) I installed her some programs (ccleaner, opera, irfanview, winamp, defraggler, 7-zip and k-lite codecpack). Than I installed avast 5 and updated it. And then it began. The system would stop responding, only the mouse worked but I could not run any application, ctrl+alt+del didn't work and I could only hard boot it. I thought it was Avast 6 that messed with the system, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled Avast 5 and only updates viruses database but not the program. It didn't help, system hanged again. I figured it could be Windows Update that was working and installing updates, so I uninstalled Avast, downloaded and installed system updates, then turned off WU, ran a virus scan wirh McAfee Stinger and finally reinstalled Avast - it did not help. The system started fine, but the minute I double-clicked Avast icon on the desktop to enter control center, all freezed again. Really, I have no idea what to do anymore. I don't know what else could be the reason. I might add that I tried the solutions I saw on forums, like checking the option of loading Avast after system servieces, but to no result. I have myself an ASUS K72J notebook with Win7 x64 HP and Avast 5 installed and never had any problem of that sort, but now I'm kinda afraid to upgrade it to version 6! :) Help!!

SafeSurf

Re: avast freezes system (win 7HP x64)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
Did your new machine come with a pre-installed trial antivirus (AV) on it?

Was your machine trying to do a Windows Update (WU) at the same time it was trying to install Avast?

What other security software do you have on the machine (firewall, other security software including trial software, and how did you uninstall them)?

Are all MS Updates current?

You really should update to Avast 6.0.1125, but I need to know the answer to the first question first.

smutny

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
Problem solved!! ;D

Your questions put me on right track - in fact, there was a trial version of Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security preinstalled with the system. Nasty stuff, it also conflicted with AVG (I couldn't even finish installing it) and Microsoft Security Essential. Wouldn't have thought of that, because I have it on my Asus, too, and it gave me no problems whatsoever. Anyways, I removed it, installed Avast 6 and everything works like wonder.

Thank you very much!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
Glad SafeSurf put you on the right track and it's working for you now, you may want to go to this site http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ and find the removal tool to cleanup any leftovers for each av you have tried as there will be bound to be some left in the system.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »
I'm glad everything worked out for you smutny.  :D  As mentioned by craigb, there may be some leftovers, so you may want to check the link out he gave you.

Let us know if you have any further questions or problems.  Thank you.