Author Topic: Avast free and PC tool firewall  (Read 10644 times)

ePlay

Avast free and PC tool firewall
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »
can i use the firewall with avast free?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast free and PC tool firewall
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
yes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:43:11 PM »
I would say NO, as if you check the forums you will see many problems with avast not being able to update with the PC Tools Firewall. Some have contacted PC Tools about this and they acknowledge that they have a problem and your only option is to uninstall PC Tools Firewall.

So currently it really isn't compatible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:55:13 PM »
I agree with David on this one.  I tested PCT FW and although you can use it, they are not that compatible.  In addition, this FW is not as strong as others available (it is very hackable).  As mentioned, the users who did have problems ended up having to uninstall the FW and when using a different FW their problems went away.  And this FW leaves MANY remnants behind on uninstall.

TheScorpion

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
I've been using PCTools Firewall Plus free (v. 7.0.0.111) with Avast for close on a year now I suppose, and have had no problems at all that I'm aware of.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:33:32 PM »
Perhaps you are lucky.  ;D

Have you tested it with any leak tests?  The one I tested was dripping all over the place!  :o

TheScorpion

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:21:37 AM »
Hi SafeSurf,
Hadn't tested it for leaks before your post, but have just done two leak tests and PCTools passed both.
PCFlank test - Pass
Atelier Web Firewall Tester - Pass (10/10)
Also checked out the Matousec web site and their list of recommended firewalls puts PCTools as 99% 'Excellent' second only to Comodo 100% 'Excellent'

I used to use Comodo but switched to PCTools after I started having problems with Comodo's (then) latest version. As mentioned, I've had no problems since.  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
Everyone's set up is different.  So consider yourself lucky that you do not have conflicts like other have.  I'm glad to hear that everything works well for you and you don't leak.  ;)

Raveen Kool

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
If you are using windows 7, then no need of installing firewall...

Because the Windows firewall in Windows 7 is stronger than pc tools firewall...

TheScorpion

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »
If you are using windows 7, then no need of installing firewall...

Because the Windows firewall in Windows 7 is stronger than pc tools firewall...

Hello Rave Kool. That's interesting. Unfortunately I have Windows XP so prefer a standalone firewall that's capable of also blocking outgoing traffic.
After looking around, it seems that even though the Windows 7 firewall can be set to block outgoing traffic (something the XP firewall doesn't do) it appears to block all outgoing from your computer if selected and you then have the tedious  procedure of individually entering which programs you don't want blocked as there is no pop up allow/disallow message for outgoing traffic. Is that correct?

ePlay

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
I have XP, but should i use PC tool firewall ore not

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »
It is up to you if you want to use PCT or not.  I certainly would NOT use the XP firewall as this is 1-way FW and too weak.  There are other FW's out there that are better, such as AIS (Avast Internet Security), Online Armor (free or paid), Comodo (free or paid), Outpost (free or paid) to mention a few that are compatible with Avast.

This is your machine, so you need to do what you feel comfortable doing.  We are just giving you suggestions based on our experience in helping many others, and in my case testing PCT FW (and the other FW's) as well.  Keep in mind that with most security software, which includes FW's, you can usually trial a software for 30 days prior to buying it to see if you like it and it plays well with your machine/software.  Just print up the directions on how to uninstall it before you install it in case you decide you need to do this.  ;)

ePlay

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
can u mention any more firewall. and online armore, will the web protection crash with avast web protection

Daris

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:12:02 AM »
      Been Using PC Tools Firewall with Avast for a while now with never nothing on any exclusion list...Never an Issue..with either....And Talking about PC Tools Firewall leaks...I don't know which version you guys are talking about but PC Tools Internet Security 2011....On the Matousec Tests   Came in with 99% behind Comodo who was with 100% but they couldn't get the internet cause Comodo blocked everyhing..Anyways my point is...PC tools Security 2011 got 2nd this year with PCTools Antivirus alonside  and PCTools Spyware Doctor..Which In my opinion are BOTH JUNK....So I guess if you run PC Tools alongside Avast and if you have a Sandbox ...I would think you're better off than with Spyware Doctor and PCTools Antivirus.....  Although I am Using "Sandboxie" And set to drop My rights with browsers in the Sandbox...
     Check out the Matousec Firewall tests  2011 ... scroll down to bottom of page  for all results...
This is just ....MY OPINION...Nobody has to agree with me...nor am I persuading anyone to choose anything..
  Cheers!!! and safe surfing!!!

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php