Author Topic: Subscrption charges  (Read 2669 times)

donnydave

Subscrption charges
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
I was just wondering if Avast will allow you to update but just take a monthly charge instead of a one off payment? I do this with my photobucket account and being less than £2.00 per month and being retired on a small fixed income I do not miss the money this way ;)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Subscrption charges
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »
Avast offers a free version: no charge, no fee.
You really don't need to buy the paid product, Avast free is a full featured, absolutely free software.
Those parts missing compared to the paid product (mainly the firewall) can be added by 3rd party free software if need be: Online Armor free firewall, Outpost free firewall, Comodo free firewall, ZoneAlarm free firewall and Malwarebytes Antimalware as a second on demand AV scanner.

So no need to cut down your budget in any way.

;D

Feel free to ask for advice concerning which combination we would propose.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:47:51 PM by Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail) »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

donnydave

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
Avast offers a free version: no charge, no fee.
You really don't need to buy the paid product, Avast free is a full featured, absolutely free software.
Those parts missing compared to the paid product (mainly the firewall) can be added by 3rd party free software if need be: Online Armor free firewall, Outpost free firewall, Comodo free firewall, ZoneAlarm free firewall and Malwarebytes Antimalware as a second on demand AV scanner.

So no need to cut down your budget in any way.

;D
Thank you for your quick reply, I already use the free version + free Comodo firewall but Avast keep sending me a pop up to upgrade? to supposedly help protect my online banking etc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
A pop-up?

Avast does not use pop-ups to promote paid versions. Other do, but Avast only shows an ad in the Avast free GUI.

Maybe it was the pop-up that a new version is out.
What Avast version do you use? The current one is: 6.0.1125.

If you are on an older version, just go to the "Maintenance" tab in Avast GUI and click on "Update Program". Or click on the blue "Free" in my signature below and download the installer and install right over the existing installation without prior uninstalling.
Free MBAM Clear

donnydave

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »
A pop-up?

Avast does not use pop-ups to promote paid versions. Other do, but Avast only shows an ad in the Avast free GUI.

Maybe it was the pop-up that a new version is out.
What Avast version do you use? The current one is: 6.0.1125.

If you are on an older version, just go to the "Maintenance" tab in Avast GUI and click on "Update Program". Or click on the blue "Free" in my signature below and download the installer and install right over the existing installation without prior uninstalling.
Yes that is the one I am using 6.0.1125 ;)
but I definitely had two pop ups earlier, I clicked on the learn more line and it took me to a page that showed what the free version covered and what extra cover you got by paying, and it was down from £49.99 to £29.99 ::)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »
Those pop-ups were some "Avast has blocked..." alerts for sure.
And yes, if you click on the "Learn more..." link in there, it will take you to a page that... erhhh... is not exactly to my taste.  ;D

But Avast will not pop-up any ads just like that. Avast distanced itself from such intrusive advertising and I do appreciate this attitude very much.  :)

But to answer your question: as far as I know there is no such thing as subscribing with a monthly fee, sorry.

But, tbh, I really don't think you do need the paid version. Avast + Comodo FW is just a fine combination to keep you safe - you can run a Malwarebytes Antimalware Free scan once a week additionally and you are okay.

Cheers
Zyndstoff  ;D
Free MBAM Clear