Author Topic: Help Getting an error installing programs  (Read 18154 times)

inthewildteam

Re:Help Getting an error installing programs
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2004, 02:14:01 AM »
UPDATE
About 2 hrs ago, while in safe mode, I tried Running Avast! External Control and it worked like a charm. I was also able to install a program without any problems.
That meant that the culprit was something running at startup. The only program that was new was Prevx. After rebooting, I again ran RejZoR's program and got the same error message.
I uninstalled Prevx, rebooted and no more problems.
What I can't figure out is why no one else has complained about this. :o ??? ???

Good that the problem was identified and solved, (I can't replicate it as I use XP Pro, but still run Prevx without any problems) has your solution also solved the mp3 issues you had?

Perhaps you might like to contact Prevx with a link to this thread so that they can see if there is an issue with their programme as it is also offered for free use.  I'm sure they would be interested to follow this.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 02:31:49 AM by inthewildteam »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2004, 03:12:58 AM »
The only program that was new was Prevx.

Prevx must be disable when you install 'trusted' software.
If anything goes wrong on shutdown it wil mess the installation, avoiding new items on startup and so on.
Prevx is a good software but it promisses much, but much much, more than it really does in real life  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004, 03:31:19 AM »
inthewildteam:
Unfortunately, this doesn't have anything to do with my MP3 and OE problem. I just retested that problem and it's still there.
Since I seem to be the only one with this problem, I'm not sure if there aren't other things involved and therefore don't know if I should get Prevex involved.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

inthewildteam

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2004, 03:33:41 AM »
The only program that was new was Prevx.

Prevx must be disable when you install 'trusted' software.
If anything goes wrong on shutdown it wil mess the installation, avoiding new items on startup and so on.
Prevx is a good software but it promisses much, but much much, more than it really does in real life  :-\

@ Technical, I think Prevx does mention this in it's faqs

I can only post as I find, I'm not a re-seller for it ...just a user of it's free home user programme.  It has stopped 92 "potential intrusion attacks" on my system.  I can only identify 5 that might have been a possible malware attack.  It might be more of a problem with it's logs than the average user may want to cope with, but it hasn't been unstable or interfered with my use in any way.  I haven't had any programme crashes or system instabilty with it, and it works with my system without any hassle.

Guess it's "horses for courses" try it as an addition to your security solution, it works for some but not all?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004, 03:42:31 AM »
I think Prevx does mention this in it's faqs

Yeah... But why do we need a program that must be disabled?  ;)

I can only post as I find, I'm not a re-seller for it ...just a user of it's free home user programme.  It has stopped 92 "potential intrusion attacks" on my system.  I can only identify 5 that might have been a possible malware attack.  It might be more of a problem with it's logs than the average user may want to cope with, but it hasn't been unstable or interfered with my use in any way.  I haven't had any programme crashes or system instabilty with it, and it works with my system without any hassle.

I'm not saying it's not good or crashes the computer.
I said, when a crash or other bad things happens, it messes all things...
For me, definetivelly, it promisses much more than in fact does.
Right now it's active in my system but I'm thinking on disabling it and stay only with TeaTimer  8)

Other problems (sorry if I'm off-topic) is that it can even disable avast because buffer overruns... Terrible!!! Stupid! I want avast running regardless of everything else  >:(
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2004, 03:42:36 AM »
inthewildteam:
Unfortunately, this doesn't have anything to do with my MP3 and OE problem. I just retested that problem and it's still there.
Since I seem to be the only one with this problem, I'm not sure if there aren't other things involved and therefore don't know if I should get Prevex involved.

Am I missing something ? What are those problems with MP3 and Outlook Express Bob ? Most likely I didn't see that thread where you posted it...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 03:43:43 AM by S.Z.C »

inthewildteam

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2004, 01:52:30 AM »
@ Bob, Understood about contacting Prevx (your post 32)

@ Technical,
I always disconnect from the internet and stop all running programmes before installing any new software, including avast! Tauscan, etc.  Just a personal preference thing.  I haven't had any problem with avast! Prevx and buffer over-runs.

The reason I disconnect from the internet, is that some programmes after installation require to contact home for updates, I prefer to ensure that the connection is made after my security programmes are up and running first.

Having to stop Prevx  during an install isn't much of a problem in that case.