Author Topic: Avast 6.0.1125 makes my computer cycle through focus on everything  (Read 4348 times)

ikthius

Hi,

I thought I had a virus and I updated Avast, SuperAntiSpyware & Adaware and ran these through safe mode, found 1 infected file, a tracking cookie.

but my problem seems to be when I go on to any browser.  The stupid webrep thing always comes on even though I turned it off.  When these things come on it make my whole computer lose focus and all programs, windows, tabs all cycle through their focus at a very fast rate, so therefore I can't do anything.

I have disabled Avast and everything is working fine just now..... I am thinking of moving to another vendor the problem is that annoying.

Please how can I fix this and keep Avast as I have been very happy with it for the past few years.

I have Windows 7 SP1, Avast 6.0.1125 (current Versions 110516-1 Realeased 16/5/2011 19:27:26)

Jack 1000

Re: Avast 6.0.1125 makes my computer cycle through focus on everything
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
Hi,

I thought I had a virus and I updated Avast, SuperAntiSpyware & Adaware and ran these through safe mode, found 1 infected file, a tracking cookie.

but my problem seems to be when I go on to any browser.  The stupid webrep thing always comes on even though I turned it off.  When these things come on it make my whole computer lose focus and all programs, windows, tabs all cycle through their focus at a very fast rate, so therefore I can't do anything.

I have disabled Avast and everything is working fine just now..... I am thinking of moving to another vendor the problem is that annoying.

Please how can I fix this and keep Avast as I have been very happy with it for the past few years.

I have Windows 7 SP1, Avast 6.0.1125 (current Versions 110516-1 Released 16/5/2011 19:27:26)

Greetings,

Ad-Aware is a known resource hog and is not recommended anymore.  It sounds like this may be conflicting.  You should uninstall it from Ad Remove Programs.  Follow the prompts.  Reboot your machine after Ad-Aware's uninstall.  Reactivate your Avast Shields.  Does that work?  If not, read on:

You mentioned Web Rep,

You can uninstall it to see if that makes a difference.  Open up your Avast GUI and under Additional Protection, click on the Web Rep Settings and click Uninstall. (Do it for each browser.)  Close out of Avast following the uninstall of Web Rep.  Reboot if prompted.

If not prompted for a reboot, close all Windows and wait 30 seconds.  Active your Avast Web Shields by right-clicking on the Avast ball in the System Tray.  Again wait about 20 seconds.  Now reboot your computer.  Does the problem go away with Ad-Aware uninstalled?  With Web Rep uninstalled?

Jack

PS.  Just for reference, are you using the Pro Version or the Free Version of Super Anti-Spyware?  It might be possible that the real-time shields in the pro-version may be conflicting.  My first suspicious remains a conflict with Ad-Aware. I would recommend removing Ad- Aware first, and than if the problem persists, uninstalling Web Rep with the instructions above.  You might be going a little overboard with the security on your machine.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:28:33 PM by Jack 1000 »

ikthius

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
I don't have adaware set up to constantly run, as I noticed it is a hog... but it is good to pick up the odd one that some others don't.

I only use adaware in safe mode.

I have already un-installed the browser sections, I think I might have fixed my problem by un-ticking the auto detect browser. because of the auto detect browser has been disabled, everything seems normal again.

I shall watch this from now on.

thanks for your reply

ikthius

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
it is not this either.....

this solution worked ok all night, now it is back, and avast webrep is not working.

now I am stumped

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
Even though you have disabled the realtime scanning of adware there will still be low level drivers that are still active so it is best to uninstall it and see if your problem is solved, you will have to reboot after uninstalling and best to run a repair of avast then reboot again also.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:54:20 AM »
Also, you did not answer the question regarding if SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) is resident or on-demand.

ikthius

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
uninstalled Adaware, same thing happens after re-boot.
SAS is not on real time protection, same problem.

I deleted AVAST, and re-booted using Avira as my AV.

once on the browser, what looked like the WebRep thing was there and the problem occured again.

Now I am very confused.

In some forums, there are suggestions to take out a USB, but I only have my Wireless USB, I am going to try that just now

ikthius

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:15 PM »
ok,

Don't know what this problem is, but what I have noticed is that when the problem starts, in any browser, I can search anything in Google and in the results page on the right hand side there will be a window to show what the page looks like..... it looks like the avast webrep thing, although I thought this was just green bars.
The preview window has orange border and when I had AVAST it had the AVAST logo at the bottom corner of the preview window.

I have uninstalled a hell of a lot of redundant programs, include AdAware, SAS, Avast.  Now got Avira, just to see if Avast is the problem.   I really loved Avast and hope it is not the problem.  But this preview window did have its logo on it, so this is very suspicious to me.

example..... in google click the little spyglass and a preview window appears.  this is exactly what it looks like

Oh Last night - no viruses and removed a couple of tracking cookies (in safe mode with updated software)

I may have found the culprit.....  My Logitech Mouse Software......
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:51:47 PM by ikthius »

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
I may have found the culprit.....  My Logitech Mouse Software......
Can you elaborate a little more on this?

When you uninstalled Avast, did you use the Avast Uninstaller Tool?

When you uninstalled the other security software, did you do it per the vendor's instructions or some other way?  It is fine to keep SAS on-demand on your machine.  It was just adaware that could have been a problem.

Have you scanned your machine, with what ever AV you now have to see if you have any malware?

ikthius

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:06:55 AM »
scanned with Avast yeaterday with up to date definitions in safe mode - no virus
scanned with SAS with up to date defineitions in safe mode - a couple of tracking cookies.

problem still presisted.

yes I used Avast uninstal tool - problem still persisted.

only when I uninstalled setpoint (logitechs software for mice & keyboards) did my problem go away.

This is why I think I found the culprit.

No preblem so far after un-installing setpoint

EDIT: tried setpoint again, and it defintely is this that is causing the problems.

So to summerise, it is not Avast
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:14:24 AM by ikthius »

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
May I ask why you are scanning for malware in Safe Mode?

A. If you feel that the problem is your logitech software for mice & keyboards, then try to replace them to resolve your problem.

B. In the meantime, you can uninstall the new AV you put on your machine:

- Uninstall Avira Antivir Completely:
http://www.themisteriosos.com/uninstall-avira-antivir-completely.htm

- Avira RegistryCleaner: http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-registrycleaner

- How to Remove Antivir Antivirus: http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml

Reboot your machine after each uninstall process.

C. Clean up your machine with something like CCleaner, a free system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds – 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system, allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.

D. Install Avast:

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
http://www.avast.com/download-software – all products – 6.0.1125
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear6.exe and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  If you did not previously uninstall ALL Avast versions and products in Safe Mode, do so now one at a time with a reboot in between each uninstall.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and adjust your exclusions if needed, and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

E. Run an Avast Quick scan in normal mode (the first time takes longer after a clean install), and post your results.

Let us know if this fixes your problems.