Author Topic: Could Avast be crashing computer?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Could Avast be crashing computer?
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
Computer goes into sleep mode and when i try to wake it i just get a black screen with no hard drive reaction. When i finally get it to start Avast is disabled. Managed to fix using system restore but i am wondering if this may be caused by Avast?

Anyone else had this problem on Windows 7 x64?
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

SafeSurf

Re: Could Avast be crashing computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
You don't mention in your Signature what version of AIS you are using?  Did your problem just occur after the recent upgrade or did you do an uninstall/clean install?  How long have you had this problem?  Did you try an Avast Repair to see if this fixes the problem, then reboot?

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
Using version 6.0.1125. Did not occur directly after the update and yes it has happened before. Usually i would have to uninstall and reinstall Avast but this time a system restore point did the trick.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
You have a few options since this has happened to you before with different versions of Avast and it does not appear to be an Avast problem since uninstall/clean install has resolved it temporarily in the past.

Let's first look to see if/what may be conflicting with Avast in your machine:

1.    What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including:
- Antivirus (AV)
- Firewall (FW)
- Trial versions of AV, FW and other security programs
- Other security software (besides what is listed in your Signature)
- If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or  another way)?

Now let's look to see if your machine is up to date:

2.   Are your MS Updates (if you have Windows) current?
3.   Are your software updates current?  Please download and run a Secunia Software Inspector PSI http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/.  If any software needs to be updated, this scanner will give you the vendor's direct link to make it easy to fix the problem.  Most of us here scan our machines weekly since software changes so often.

Finally we'll look for potential malware:

4.   After this, please make sure you have the latest Avast definitions and do an Avast Quick scan of your machine to make sure it is clean of malware.  Check your MBAM log (you have the Pro version) to make sure you are clean as well.  Report back on your Avast and MBAM findings.

Report back on all of the above, and based on your findings we will proceed from there.  I will be back on the forum later.  Thank you.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Laptop came with AVG, which i uninstalled via control panel > remove programs. Windows Firewall is turned off as is Defender. Using MBAM PRO and have added the relevant exclusions to both MBAM and Avast. Used to use AuperAntiSpyware but removed in the same way as above and i removed the .dll files that were left behind.

Windows is up to date as is all software and drivers. As for Virus/Malware i have done a full system scan with both Avast and MBAM and nothing has come up.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
Its a good idea to run the avg removal tool to get rid of any leftovers that might be interfering http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
Apologies my mistake. I installed and ran Secunia and it found 4 out of date Adobe programs, which i have now updated. Will install and run the AVG removal tool now.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »
Just ran the AVG uninstall tool and it came up with a warning box saying AVG will be removed etc do i wish to continue? I click yes then a command window appear does some stuff for 3 seconds then diappears. Since nothing else came up i assume AVG was totally cleared in the first place, right? Or was the the tool just doing it's job??

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »
The tool is just doing it's job, once done you can delet it from wherever you save it unless its just a run tool which doesn't save to your computer anyway, been ages since iv had to use it.
You can look though program files and program data and users/your name/appdata/roaming to double check that the leftovers have been deleted.
You might also find some leftovers of some other old programs you may of removed in there also.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
craigb is correct is his last post.  Just remember to reboot your machine after running the AVG uninstaller tool.

Is your problem fixed now?

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:34:05 PM »
All good so far. I will keep you updated.