Author Topic: updates  (Read 3556 times)

otters

updates
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:38:35 AM »
Question re: updates to Avast 4:

Awhile back I had the free home version of Avast virus protection and I frequently recevied automatic updates, usually as soon as I got on-line. At some point I lost my Avast protection, and as I recall, I had to re-register with Avast and now have Avast 4. I have noticed that I now receive updates only very rarely. Even when I manually check for an update, Avast indicates I am current.

Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks,
John

Delta

Re:updates
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 12:10:07 PM »
Hi otters, Avast defs were updated yesterday to 0441-2. Did you get this update?

www.avast.com/eng/viruses/vps_history.html
This is a link to a page which shows a list of all the recent updates which may help you decide if you have missed any updates.

HTH

Delta.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 12:12:08 PM by Delta »

otters

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 05:39:06 PM »
Delta,
Thanks for responding. Yes, I do have 0441-2 and I did get the update. What strikes me is that before when I had Avast, I would almost always receive an update whenever I went on-line, which seemed to make sense. Getting the updates much less frequently, from the same anti-virus provider, is what has had me wondering. Thanks again.

John

Delta

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 08:09:18 PM »
Question re: updates to Avast 4:

Awhile back I had the free home version of Avast virus protection

Hi, I've just had a thought; if you had Avast at the start of this year (Jan/Feb, I can't remember which month exactly) there were 2 updates per day due to the large number of new variations of Netsky (I think) and one or two other viruses. Perhaps this is what you remember.

Delta.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 08:21:59 PM by Delta »

otters

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 11:53:18 PM »
Delta,

That makes sense. I'll rest easier and stay with Avast.
Thanks for all your feedback.

Sincerely,
John

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 05:44:27 PM »
Delta,

That makes sense. I'll rest easier and stay with Avast.
Thanks for all your feedback.

Sincerely,
John

Hi, welcome to the forums.

avast! is one of the best AVs in relation to updates, most require you to check for the update, unlike avast's auto update. Many require a very large download file, unlike avast's small file size incremental update.

My previous AV was AVG and that was about once per week, sometimes longer and even then the update often failed and I ended up downloading and installing the update manually.

avast! has on occasion released two update in a day, the policy of releasing an update as required rather than sticking to some sort of timetable is just one of the things I like about avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Delta

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 07:39:38 PM »
No problem, glad to see you've decided to stay with Avast! :)

Delta.