Author Topic: Some Outlook folders not being scanned now  (Read 13074 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Some Outlook folders not being scanned now
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
You're not the only one--so don't feel lonely!

I don't understand why this just started.  The outlook file would be an important file to scan I would think.

It is also a dangerous file to scan. There are many that warn against it, can't recall the references.

I don't use Outlook, so I can't speak from personal experience. Essentially .pst files if an infected email is found inside many AVs (not necessarily avast!) will delete the complete .pst file not try to extract the infected email with the resultant loss of your emails.

I believe if you check the Mail Shield, Expert Settings, MS Outlook related settings, the Scan archived messages when opening, these aren't scanned by default and my guess that has something to do with scanning (or not) the .pst file also. But the advice is to scan only unread messages, see image extract of the avast Help Center.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PatP3005

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
Hi David!
Thanks for that reply! What you have said makes perfect sense.

Because I don't really "get" what scanning is doing, I just know I need to do it to keep my computer safe, the .pst file seemed like an important one to keep clean. But your explanation clears up my questions. I've never understood the .pst file but you are right, I certainly wouldn't want it deleted! I just didn't know what else was in there besides emails.

Thanks again!
Pat   ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dagrev

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
Thanks for the possible reason.  That makes sense.  I wonder what chanced and why this started just now.  I'm just curious about that.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
You're welcome.

I don't know if it might have been a change in the default avast MS Outlook settings or as a result of a windows security update.

But the error 33 is as has been said the crux of the matter as it wouldn't really have thought it would be avast locking it, whereby it couldn't scan it. That could be a) MS Outlook trying to protect the file (possibly in use, etc.) or b) other security software locking the file preventing avast from scanning it..

Offline skipperl

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »
I am having the same problem only since the latest update(updated yesterday 6.0.1203).  It makes sense that outlook may lock the .PST file since it does contain all its emails, contacts, etc., however as I said, this is the first time I have seen this message and it doesn't seem to affect the achieve.PST file.  I was able to get avast to scan the file by itself by opening outlook, then closing it, then scanning the file by itself with no threats found.

Offline prevaljo

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I have recently (as in two days ago) installed Avast, replacing my previous anti virus.  I have exactly the same "issue" with my Outlook PST file.  I spent a bit of time exporting folders from Outlook to see if the problem would go away, it didn't.  I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.