Author Topic: Resolved - No advise notifications when there are new update programs  (Read 3205 times)

jrukim

I have my avast configured to automatic definitions update  and advise if new program is available The automatic definitions is working ok but I only know about new update programs when I visit the forum and never received the usual notifications about them to do the manual procedure. Seems to me,  that this problem started to happen when version 6.0.0000 was created. I have avast on 2 windows 7 and 1 with windows xp and the problem is on all of them.
To see what happens I tried to change the configurance to automatic update programs but with no result. The only way is visit the forum and look for news.
Any comments ?  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:47:06 AM by jrukim »

SafeSurf

Re: No advise notifications when there are new update programs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
When you open the Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > Programs > is it set to Automatic or Ask or Manual?

If it is set to Automatic, it will update automatically. 

If it is set to Ask, you will get a red indicator in the main page of the Avast GUI that there is an update available, but you have to click on the "update" button to update it. 

If it is set to Manual, you will have to find out when there is an update, and do it manually yourself...not suggested.

jrukim

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
Is set to ask, as I have been using since years ago. And  I am not receiving the red indicator.
As I said I also tried to set it to Automatic and the update never occurs . Tks anyway

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
The v6 program update schedule is now set to complete by July 11.
That is, by July 11, all users should be messaged about the latest version (including v5.x users).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jrukim

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
 Many Tks Vlk.
 I am using  avast since 2004 and always pleased with the program and the help from this worderful forum.
Best rgds 

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
Additional different reports and experiences around this issue are being reported in  the following topic:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76977.0

@jrukim, if you could add your report in that topic, and also add any changes you notice comparing to past experiences/behaviours, and any changes you see in the following days comparing to the current not-expected behaviour, it may help resolve the different strange situations we are seeing.

@Vlk, it is "nice" to finally see someone from Avast Team contributing some official info in relation to this issue. If you could also follow up the reports in the mentioned topic and eventually add any discoveries/news/data/info from Avast Team, I am sure it will be very welcome.

TIA.

Jack 1000

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
Our main topic should be used for this discussion with the thousands of views in it.  This other thread just created should be closed because its a duplicate.  Keeping all the topics together for one important thread like this, minimizes confusion.  The thread is here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=76977.0

Jack

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
Only the OP can close a thread.

@ Jack 1000,  I hope you posted Vlk's comment from this thread in the other thread.  Do not respond in this thread as it will be closed.  Thank you.

@ jrukim,

Please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Since Vlk has responded to your problem, this thread can now be closed.  Thank you.