Author Topic: My Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit has HUGE PROBLEM with AVAST 6  (Read 2723 times)

todorant

Hi,

I am using Avast for two years, and I was more than satisfied with the software :).

When I updated from v5 to v6, few months ago, my computer crashed.
I could not start the computer ???. After spending a half of day working on this problem I finally  succed to start Windows Vista.

Few day ago, after update to v6.0.1125 the same problem :o, but this time Vista was able to heal from the crash.
Now I have Avast 6.0.1125 but I can't access to gmail in standard mode in IE9 (just basic mode is allowed), and I can't use Google Translator >:(. I have to say that everything is working fine with Chrome11.

Any cluewhy this is happening?

Daris

Re: My Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit has HUGE PROBLEM with AVAST 6
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:37:06 AM »
Did You Update from 5 to 6 by clicking on the "Update" in the "Maintenance"  Or did you completely remove 5 before updating to 6...Is Microsoft Security Essentials on your Vista Or the Windows Defender?  What Firewall are you using and any separate anti spyware protection??  Which One are you using?
  Cheers!!!! and safe surfing!!!

todorant

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:01:42 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for your answer!

I made update from v5. to v6. by clicking "Update" from the "Maintenance", and Windows Defender is on my version of Windows Vista.
I don't have any firewall software, but I do have "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" installed on my computer and it runs on my demand.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:06 AM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
I don't have any firewall software, but I do have "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" installed on my computer and it runs on my demand.
In addition to doing the uninstall/clean install that Tech suggested, do you have the built in Vista firewall (FW) turned on in your machine for some protection or are you running AIS (Avast Internet Security)?  If you do not have any FW turned on, please turn on the Windows FW for protection as this is exposing you to a security risk.

Having Windows Defender (WD) on your machine is fine; it is built in automatically with Vista however you do not need to use it as resident (running all the time) since you have Avast.  Should you need to use WD some day, just update the definitions first.

Having MBAM (Malwarebytes) is a smart thing.  Most of us here use it and it is compatible with Avast.

Let us know how your machine is running after doing the uninstall/clean install.  Thank you.