Author Topic: Cloud??  (Read 3920 times)

gbe90

Cloud??
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »
hello ;D, good excuse and wanted to know if avast has protection in the cloud? or virus based on the tag thank you very much.

SafeSurf

Re: Cloud??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
If you signed up for the Community when you installed Avast, I guess you could consider that "cloud" based, but it is definitely virus and behavioral based.  This may give you a little more information http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and there are buttons within the link that you can click to get more information as well.  Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Thank you.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
hello ;D, good excuse and wanted to know if avast has protection in the cloud? or virus based on the tag thank you very much.

Hi,

By cloud protection do you mean when you open a file, avast queries an online server and flags it as suspicious or not? - No, its not in avast.

As Safesurf has noted, it uses behavioral analysis to flag files suspicious or not. In terms of latency and internet availability (and other unknown(to me) parameters) behav method is better than cloud query method.

Raveen Kool

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:22:16 PM »
No, Avast doesn't have cloud based protection but it has web rep which is cloud based.....

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
No, Avast doesn't have cloud based protection but it has web rep which is cloud based.....

Well, comparing cloud based protection and cloud based rating is like comparing apples with oranges even though they are fruits.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:46:53 PM by nmb »

LunarWolf

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
Surely wish avast will introduce that feature of checking an unknown file in real time against their virus labs in future versions. But then again, with 100 million+ users, introducing that feature will just crash avast's servers.  ::)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
Surely wish avast will introduce that feature of checking an unknown file in real time against their virus labs in future versions. But then again, with 100 million+ users, introducing that feature will just crash avast's servers.  ::)

Yes, selecting a technology is very important and has their own pros and cons. Why avast has chosen behav shield, might be because of this one of the many reasons.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:30:29 PM by nmb »

Raveen Kool

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »
I personally do not recommend cloud based protection because i will not protect you when you are offline....

What if a infected pen drive  comes in when you are offline, you will be in grave danger......

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »
What if a infected pen drive  comes in when you are offline, you will be in grave danger......
They do make products for this situation...as an example for USB's (see my Signature).

LunarWolf

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
I personally do not recommend cloud based protection because i will not protect you when you are offline....

What if a infected pen drive  comes in when you are offline, you will be in grave danger......

I am talking about pure cloud. I am neither a support of pure cloud.

"I am talking about something like what Kaspersky did with their KSN. Say the Kaspersky on your computer encounter an unknown program which is actually a malware but it have no signature for it yet, what Kaspersky did was check the file against its virus lab using KSN. So if its virus lab have seen the file but have not issue a signature yet, it will warn the user that file is malicious".

If avast can do like this, it definitely would be a killer.  ;D

So it become partial cloud with signature.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
"I am talking about something like what Kaspersky did with their KSN. Say the Kaspersky on your computer encounter an unknown program which is actually a malware but it have no signature for it yet, what Kaspersky did was check the file against its virus lab using KSN. So if its virus lab have seen the file but have not issue a signature yet, it will warn the user that file is malicious".

Community IQ does something similar. ;)
Hope you have it enabled.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

LunarWolf

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »
Community IQ does something similar. ;)
Hope you have it enabled.

It does? Of course I enable it. I thought Community IQ just collect data about type of infection for statistical purpose and not protection purpose. (I am not talking about Webrep. More of like unknown file which are actually malicious)

I am talking about something like this. See the link for example. http://www.raymond.cc/forum/spyware-viruses/20538-what-is-your-security-setup-now-56.html#post229707

Does Community IQ does that yet? I don't think it looks up an unknown file with avast virus lab in real time yet. Or does it?

Avast should look up a file with its virus lab in real time and do behavioral analysis. That way, we get the best of both world. An integration with the cloud and also behavioral analysis.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:45:42 PM by LunarWolf »