Author Topic: Forum information, recommendations and few rules  (Read 309255 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forum information, recommendations and few rules
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »
You do have a 'forum' Name, it is what is displayed to the left of all of your posts 'logika4e'

It isn't used on the registration page, your email and password are used to register.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »
In my profile (Modify Profile) - (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=profile) I see a field for AIM - This is your AOL Instant Messenger nickname. Here I read that "AIM has been discontinued as of December 15, 2017". If AIM does not exist, what do I put in this field? :)

https://help.aol.com/articles/aim-discontinued - AOL Help

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:51:08 PM by Adrian Seni »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »
You don't have to put anything in any of those fields unless you want to.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Re: Error messages
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:47 PM »
After I first installed Avast Antivirus, subsequent times I started my computer I have received two error messages:

iCloudServices.exe - Entry Point Not Found
   The procedure entry point OBJC_CLASS_$_NSData could not be located in the dynamic link library
   C:\Program Files(x86)\CommonFiles\Apple\InternetServices\AOSkit.dll

and

ApplePhotoStreams.exe - Ordinal Not Found
  The ordinal 2013 could not be located in the dynamic link library
  C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Common Files\Apple\InternetServices\ApplePhotoStreams_main.dll

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2018, 07:18:42 PM »
After I first installed Avast Antivirus, subsequent times I started my computer I have received two error messages:
<snip>

Please start your own 'new topic'in the
Avast Free Antivirus / Pro Antivirus / Internet Security/ Premier
forum as this is unrelated to this topic (hijacking) in the

REDACTED

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »
Hello I just bought a couple of licenses. Language of all messages and information I receive from Avast is German. How should I proceed to replace it in English or French. When I connect to my Avast account homepage, if I go to settings I am indeed able to select the language I want. However, when clicking on the icon in the task bar at the bottom of my pc, the Settings only allow Deutsch which is the language I used to purchase the licenses.
Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
Please start your own new topic in the main forum (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0), if this advice doesn't resolve your problem.

Open the avastUI (click the tray icon) and select the Menu option, whilst this would be in a different language (German) the icons and locations should be the same).  Now click the Settings (gear icon), the next window (Settings > General) will open.  The very first option Language and to the right of that is the 'Install additional languages' option.  Another window will open with the languages available, Select English or French and click OK.

Once installed, you you will need to go back in to the Settings General and select which language to use.  I don't know if it would require a reboot to use the new language or not.

Offline EdAgee

« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2022, 10:03:44 PM »
I'm not sure if "recommendations" is meant to go both ways, but I also don't think starting a new topic is a good idea, so let me try this, please.

Where are the "Terms" for the use of the forum?

I can find no link on the forum landing page. I went to the registration page and was referred to the "End User License Agreement" but there is nothing in that document that relates to the forum. The only two uses of the vocabulary 'forum' are in the context of legal style stuff and not at all related to this forum/platform.

I also entered WEBforum in a search of that document and came up with nothing.

I saw/see the post by OndraM titled "Forum Rules" but that is not the "Terms".

Of course, there is also this thread/topic, but this also is not the "Terms".

So I need some help, please.

And thank you.

Offline EdAgee

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2022, 10:31:04 AM »
I believe waiting for a few weeks for a response to this question is plenty polite and so to go one step further I'd like to offer a few examples from two companies I believe Avast has business ties with.

First example would be Google and let us consider their handling of this issue on all their Help Community pages:

< < < Copy Starts > > >

©2022 Google  Privacy Policy -- Terms of Service -- Community Policy -- Community Overview

< < < Copy Ends > > >

Even the Google page that is not specifically focused on a Help Community, such as this one;

https://myaccount.google.com/intro/support

has at the bottom of that page the following:

< < < Copy Starts > > >

Privacy -- Terms -- Help

< < < Copy Ends > > >

This Avast Forum platform appears to be a Simple Machines product (presumably allowing for the assertion of a company relationship with Avast) and let us take a look at the Simple Machines landing page:

Lower right corner of their landing page is the following:

< < < Copy Starts > > >

Help | Terms and Rules | Go Up

< < < Copy Ends > > >

While it may seem "nonsensical" to certain parties for me to be asking about this matter, I suspect that the industry standard, if not the law, is that some sort of "Terms" should be clearly stated to prospective members of this Online Community.

And the examples above are related to the idea that I am asking about a matter that seems to be an industry standard, just in case there are those that might not be aware of such standards being adhered to be prominent businesses in this business.