Author Topic: Possible False Positive Result nsemail.eml  (Read 12849 times)

Chuck2011

Possible False Positive Result nsemail.eml
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:05 AM »
I have been trying to import mail from Outlook to Thunderbird, but part way through Avast pops up a warning box that the action has been blocked because of nsemail.eml which it is identifying as INF:AutoRun-gen2[Wrm].

However, when is scan Outlooks PST file it comes out clean.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

REDACTED

Re: Possible False Positive Result nsemail.eml
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:07:29 AM »
I see this but no file exists at that path or anywhere else.

There was a problem including the file file:///C:/DOCUME~1/LUCAS~1.LUC/LOCALS~1/Temp/nsemail.html in the message. Would you like to continue sending the message without this file?

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »
Hello,
was there something detected by Avast?

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:27:03 AM »
I see this but no file exists at that path or anywhere else.

There was a problem including the file file:///C:/DOCUME~1/LUCAS~1.LUC/LOCALS~1/Temp/nsemail.html in the message. Would you like to continue sending the message without this file?

From yesterday Avast Pro on our company computers give this message on email sending. This started on some computers in the morning and now new others have the same problem. Is this caused by a software or signs update?

Trying to continue email is sent without problem and recipient receives it correctly.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
Hello,
can you post screenshot of the message? Was there something detected by Avast?

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
When I click on Send button of Thunderbird new mail form, the following popup appears

There was a problem including the file file:///C:/DOCUME~1/<UserName>/LOCALS~1/Temp/nsemail.html in the message. Would you like to continue sending the message without this file?

There are 2 choices: OK or Cancel. If I press OK message is sent and arrives to recipient correcly.
Avast doen't detect any virus. It seems that it keep temporary file locked while Thunderbird is trying to access it for removing from temporary folder.

Thanks and regards
Mauro

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 04:37:37 AM »
I'm seeing this too, but the when the message is sent, it is empty... Thunderbird is maybe getting confused by Avast! locking the file?

This happens even if the file is added to the exclusion list.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 05:39:50 AM »
More info about what I'm seeing... I'm seeing it on an XP machine with all updates (now ceased), running avast 10.3.2223 and Thunderbird 38.1.0.

I'm not seeing it on Win7, with the same versions.

Retrying a dozen or two times, a message will eventually send, even on the XP machine, but that is extremely annoying.

It seems that Thunderbird closes the nsemail.html file for writing, which triggers Avast! to scan it (even if it is on the exclusion list?) using exclusive access, but Thunderbird "outruns" it, in attempting to reopen the nsemail.html file to merge it into a composed message having both HTML and plain text... but gets foiled by Avast! still having the file open in exclusive mode.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
I have solved it including the file in the Exclusion list, but because Thunderbird tries to use different renamed version of the file, I only managed when I used these paths (maybe the first is not neccesary):

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\[LOCAL_CONFIG]\Temp\nsemail.html
C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\[LOCAL_CONFIG]\Temp\nsemail*.html

It is under Options --> Exclusions. The [USER] and [LOCAL_CONFIG] must be replaced in each case, and maybe in some different Windows version it is different.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 03:28:33 AM »
I have the same problem. Thunderbird complains about nsemail.html in my Temp folder and if I continue sending the email, the body of the email is absent.

I added the full path to nsemail.html (C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\[LOCAL_CONFIG]\Temp\nsemail*.html) to the Exclusions list and this fixed the problem.

Thank you, cesar!