Author Topic: avast maybe false positive  (Read 2880 times)

ardi_sugianto

avast maybe false positive
« on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:54 AM »
hi guys i have some problem....avast detect C:\Windows\System32\WDI\ShutdownPerformanceDiagnostics_SystemData.bin as Win32:KillAV-AHY[Rtk], i restore back from quanratine but when i scan again avast doesn't detect as potential thread ???

SafeSurf

Re: avast maybe false positive
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
<snip> i restore back from quarantine but when i scan again avast doesn't detect as potential thread ???
It would have been safer for you to re-scan the file while keeping it in the Virus Chest where it is safe.  You can right click the file in the Chest, then scan.  If the file is still infected, you should keep it in the Chest.  If it is not infected, then you can try to restore it or delete it.

If this file actually was infected malware, you let it out of a safe area (the Chest) and into your machine...not recommended.  So in the future, do it as I stated above.

Perhaps what you put in the Chest was a false positive (FP) and that is why you do not see it showing up as a threat now.  Are your Avast definitions up to date?  Did you run both a Quick or Full scan, and a boot-time scan?  If not, please run them and report back your findings.  Put any infections in the Chest again and give a screen shot of the Chest in your next post if you have an infection.  You can also upload the file in the Chest to Avast for analysis, and this is done on the next virus update.

It does not say in your Signature what version of Avast you are using (other than Avast 6 Free)?  Can you tell me if you are using 6.0.1125 and update your Signature?  If you do not have the current version, I suggest upgrading to the current version as well.  Thank you.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
<snip> i restore back from quarantine but when i scan again avast doesn't detect as potential thread ???
It would have been safer for you to re-scan the file while keeping it in the Virus Chest where it is safe.  You can right click the file in the Chest, then scan.  If the file is still infected, you should keep it in the Chest.  If it is not infected, then you can try to restore it or delete it.

If this file actually was infected malware, you let it out of a safe area (the Chest) and into your machine...not recommended.  So in the future, do it as I stated above.

Perhaps what you put in the Chest was a false positive (FP) and that is why you do not see it showing up as a threat now.  Are your Avast definitions up to date?  Did you run both a Quick or Full scan, and a boot-time scan?  If not, please run them and report back your findings.  Put any infections in the Chest again and give a screen shot of the Chest in your next post if you have an infection.  You can also upload the file in the Chest to Avast for analysis, and this is done on the next virus update.

It does not say in your Signature what version of Avast you are using (other than Avast 6 Free)?  Can you tell me if you are using 6.0.1125 and update your Signature?  If you do not have the current version, I suggest upgrading to the current version as well.  Thank you.

i always update my avast... i am sure my avast is uptodate ;D.... many people also have same issue like me so i 'm sure this is false alarm... so please fix in future update ::)
thanx..........

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »
If you have received the latest Avast update, try rescanning your machine since this appears to be a FP.  Let us know if you have any questions or problems.  Thank you.